News Uncategorized

Five things to look forward to this week

__coffeecup-1

Students and the Cougar community can enjoy complimentary coffee and a conversation with an UHPD officer about questions and concerns surrounding campus safety and crime. |The Cougar

To start off your Monday morning right, here’s a few events to look forward to this week including having a cup of coffee with a UHPD officer, standing up to Malala’s cause in fighting for girls’ education rights and learning about the challenges of immigrants coming to the U.S.

October 20: UH Stands With Malala

Graduate College of Social Work Lawn

The event aims to raise awareness about the importance of providing access to education for girls and women around the world.

The event is inspired by the work of Nobel Peace Prize winner Malala Yousafzai, who was shot after standing up for girls’ education in Pakistan. Her story is depicted in her movie “He Named Me Malala,” showing in Houston theaters now.

Student organizers will be accepting donations of gently used children’s and women’s clothing to send to the Malala Foundation and will read aloud inspiring stories of girls who have fought for their right to an education.

The event is free for all and everyone who comes to the event will leave with an informative and colorful bookmark. Please consider stopping by, meeting the artist, listening to stories of empowered girls and donating clothes.

https://uh.collegiatelink.net/organization/MACRO/calendar/details/767682

October 20: Beauty’s Rigor: Patterns of Production in the Work of Pier Luigi Nervi

Hines Theatre

Pier Luigi Nervi, widely known as a structural engineer, an architect and for his innovative use of reinforced concrete. The presentation will hosted by the Houston Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, along with the graduate coordinator of architecture of Iowa State University, Thomas Leslie, creator of the project. The presentation will be then followed by a reception.

Nervi’s important works include a prefabricated 309-foot-span arch for the Turin Exhibition (1949–50) and the first skyscraper in Italy, the Pirelli Tower (1955) in Milan, a collaborative design with fellow Italian architect, Giovanni Ponti.

October 21: Cultural Conversations: Immigration and Citizenship

Student Center South, Room B12

There are individuals who migrated to the United States at different ages and for different reasons.

From paperwork to cultural shock the question, “What does it mean to be American and who gets to decide?” will be analyzed between students and community. The various challenges that documented and undocumented immigrants face while in college, as well as the anxieties they may feel regarding graduation and starting their career will also be looked at in-depth.

Some choose to live here temporarily while others desire to live here as citizens.

This event will be sponsored by the Center for Diversity and Inclusion.

For more information contact Jamie Gonzales by phone 713-743-6047, or by his email [email protected]

October 22: Undergraduate Research Day 2015

Rockwell Pavilion, M.D. Anderson Library and the Honors College

The Office of Undergraduate Research’s 11th annual Undergraduate Research Day will show over 175 undergraduates that will present posters and oral projects from all department, like CLASS to the Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture. Outstanding poster awards will be given by faculty from a wide range of disciplines.

Guests can vote on their favorite poster. As an additional treat, the celebration will provide free ice cream to those who attend.

For more information contact Karen Weber, Director of the Office of Undergraduate Research, 713.743.3367

http://www.uh.edu/honors/undergraduate-research/uh-research/urday2015/

October 22: Coffee With A Cop

Energy Research Park in Building 4

The University of Houston Police Department invites the Cougar community to join them for a cup of coffee and a conversation.

This will allow students, faculty and staff to ask questions and learn more about the work that UHPD is doing.

UHPD Sgt. Dina Padovan said the gatherings will allow for a relaxed, one-on-one interaction.

“We hope the UH community feels comfortable to come meet with us and ask questions,” she said. “If they have concerns, they can bring them to us. They can also just come and enjoy some coffee and get to know our officers.”

For more information contact Sgt. Dina Padovan at 713-743-0596, or by email at [email protected]

[email protected] http://gty.im/179408662