Sports Volleyball

Cougars prepare for two-game conference road trip

Olivia O'Dell WEB (2)

Senior libero Olivia O’Dell is one of the nations top players at her position. She currently sits second in the NCAA in digs per set. | Bryce Dodds/The Cougar

The Houston women’s volleyball team is preparing to head out on a two-game road trip against a pair of conference foes.

The team is looking to grab a couple of crucial road wins against Temple University and the University of Connecticut over the weekend.

This season, the Cougars are 14-6 overall, with a 4-4 record in the American Athletic Conference.

The Owls are 15-5 overall, but sit at 6-2 in AAC play, while the Huskies are 9-10 overall and 3-5 in conference.

The Cougars have been buoyed this year by freshman outside hitter Brookah Palmer, who leads the conference in total points, total kills and killers per set.

Her 339 total kills not only lead the team and conference, but put her ranked 18th nationally.

Senior Olivia O’Dell is having a stellar year for the Cougars along the back line, putting up many record performances, including a new school record for digs in a five-set match, with 47.

O’Dell is also among the nation’s elite, as she ranks second in the NCAA in digs per set and sixth in total digs, while leading the conference in both categories.

Houston is tied for fifth in the AAC this season, while Temple sits at second place and UConn sits tied for eighth.

The Cougars will be looking to knock off the Owls on Friday night, with the game set to start at 6 p.m., before heading to Storrs, Connecticut, with match-time set for noon against the Huskies.