News Uncategorized

World of news: Five things you might have missed

Pop-Culture: Star Wars awakens technical problem in movie ticket sites

Two months before its release, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” has set early ticket sale records on Monday night, at the same time its trailer was released. Sale tickets were so high on Fandango’s webpage, that the site had technical problems, as did others digital ticketing services.

According to The Wall Street Journal, the site reported that it has already sold eight times as many tickets as it did for the previous record holder for first day ticket sales, “The Hunger Games.”

The new trailer generated nearly 13 million views on the Star Wars YouTube channel in its first 15 hours. On Facebook, it has been watched 8.4 million times and liked by more than 207,000 users.

Politics: Paul Ryan to run for House Speaker

Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan, announced Thursday evening that he will run to fill in John Boehner’s shoes as House Speaker.

According to NBC News, this comes a day after a majority of the House Freedom Caucus — a big-buck faction of conservative congressmen — said they would support the lawmaker. Two other factions, the Republican Study Committee and Tuesday Group, were already in support for supplying endorsements.

Money: Welcome to the workforce class of 2015, you’ll work till you’re 75.

NerdWallet’s researchers found that graduates of the Class of 2015 will likely be working until at least 75 — a full 13 years longer than today’s average retirement age.

And, with an average life expectancy of 84, these 23-year-olds will spend only nine years in retirement.

But there’s always hope. If you begin to save 10 percent today, you can shave five years off retirement age, amassing enough to leave work at 70. Saving four percent more per year amounts to $2,000 on a $50,000 salary.

That’s about $165 a month.

This study is based on the median salary of college graduates who are 23. National Association of Colleges and Employers reports that the median starting salary for the class of 2014 was $45,478. Class of 2015 starting salaries have not yet been released.

Government: Texas removes Planned Parenthood from Medicaid program

Gov. Greg Abbott announced Monday that it iscutting off Medicaid funding to Planned Parenthood clinics following undercover videos featuring discussions about fetal tissue, according to NBC News.

“The gruesome harvesting of baby body parts by Planned Parenthood will not be allowed in Texas and the barbaric practice must be brought to an end,” Abbott said. “As such, ending the Medicaid participation of Planned Parenthood affiliates in the State of Texas is another step in providing greater access to safe healthcare for women while protecting our most vulnerable — the unborn.”

Health: Marijuana users more than doubled, but so have health issues

Marijuana use has more than doubled in the U.S. since the beginning of the century — but so have problems for users, including addiction, researchers reported Wednesday, NBC reported.

According to a Gallup Survey, 58 percent of Americans favor the legalization of cannabis — the highest number ever.

However, 30 percent of marijuana users found themselves abusing or dependent on the drug, according to the Oreganian.

The JAMA Psychiatry report also found a range of outcomes, including cognitive decline, psychosocial impairments, vehicle crashes, emergency department visits, psychiatric symptoms and poor quality of life, use of other drugs and addiction problems, the report said.