Friday, April 28, 2017

Swimming and Diving open competition at Rice Invitational

swimming

A pair of freshman had strong performances at the Rice Invitational, grabbing two of the top-10 finishes. | File photo/The Cougar

The Cougars’ swimming and diving team opened their season at the Rice Invitational on Friday, their first official team competition of the season.

UH traveled across town for a meet with Rice University, the University of Arkansas and the University of Incarnate Word.

After the first day of competition, the Cougars sat in third place with 192 points, trailing first-place Arkansas by 138 points.

A number of Cougars had strong performances, including freshman Delia Weber and Hannah Herbst who finished fourth and fifth, respectively, in the 500-yard freestyle.

A pair of 800-yard freestyle relay teams also recorded a couple of top-10 finishes, as the Cougars took fourth and sixth place.

Another pair of relay teams took top-10 spots in the 400-yard medley relay, with sixth and seventh place finishes.

The Cougars are scheduled to conclude the invitational on Saturday, but looming inclement weather has pushed the start times to 9 a.m. and noon at Rice.

Tags: ,

Does the construction along Spur 5, which will eventually impact the U.S. 59 north and south on-ramps from I-45, affect your commute to class?

• Yes, my commute will be dramatically different and much longer (36%, 38 Votes)
    • My commute will be slightly impacted, but it's not too much of a nuisance (29%, 31 Votes)
    • I don't commute/ I never use I-45 or Spur 5 (23%, 24 Votes)
    • I commute but had no idea about the construction (12%, 13 Votes)

Total Voters: 106