Cougars prepare to host annual Tipoff Dinner

PRINT-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_4958

Head coach Kelvin Sampson will introduce the new-look Cougar squad at the tipoff dinner, in addition to honoring Elvin Hayes. | File photo/The Cougar

As men’s basketball prepares to tip off the season, the team is also preparing to host the annual preseason Tipoff Dinner on Nov. 10.

The night will be highlighted by the Cougars honoring former-player and UH legend Elvin Hayes, as well as an introduction to this year’s team.

Hayes competed for the Cougars from 1965-68 and put together an all-time great career at UH, including being honored as the National Player of the Year in 1968.

He also helped lead the team to two NCAA Final Four appearances in his time, averaging 31 points per game and 17.2 rebounds per game over his career.

Hayes went on to have a very successful professional career after being drafted first overall in the 1968 NBA Draft.

Over a 16-year career, he was a 12-time all-star and even captured an NBA Championship in 1978, and averaged 21 points and 12.5 rebounds over his career.

Hayes was honored with an induction into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 1990, and was named one of the NBA’s All-Time Top 50 players in 1996.

The Cougars will honor Hayes and introduce the new-look team at the Hilton University of Houston, where UH alumnus and current Houston Rockets broadcaster Bill Worrell will serve as host for the evening.