Sports Volleyball

Cougars readying to host Florida teams in weekend split

Olivia O'Dell WEB (4)

Senior libero Olivia O’Dell leads the AAC in two categories and is ranked in the top five nationally in digs per set. | Bryce Dodds/The Cougar

As Cougar volleyball enters the back half of their conference season, they prepare to welcome a pair of Florida teams to the Cougar den.

In an action packed weekend at home, UH will play host to the University of South Florida and the University of Central Florida for a pair of American Athletic Conference matchups.

The Cougars are coming off of a weekend road trip which saw them split a pair of games, with a win over Temple University in five sets.

Rounding out their two-game road swing, the Cougars then dropped a straight sets loss to the University of Connecticut.

UH currently sits at 15-7 overall with a 5-5 conference record, putting them in a tie for fourth place in the conference with the UCF Knights.

UCF is 11-11 overall, with an identical record in the AAC, while USF is 7-15 overall but maintains a 4-6 conference record, putting them just one spot back of UH and UCF.

The Cougars will look for continued strong play from senior libero Olivia O’Dell as well as freshman outside hitter Brookah Palmer.

Both players lead the conference in numerous categories, while O’Dell ranks in the top five nationally in digs per set.

Palmer is top 20 in many offensive categories nationally, including points and total kills — the top mark in the AAC in both areas.

The Cougars and Knights meet on Friday at 7 p.m. before UH squares off with the USF Bulls on Sunday at 1 p.m in the Athletics and Alumni Center.