Valenti gets six new televisions to increase brand awareness

Six brand new 48-inch commercial grade displays from Samsung were installed at the Jack J. Valenti School of Communication building in the first floor in the front lobby Wednesday.

This a first for the building, as it has never had these type of digital signage displays.

Hussain Ali of Houston Dynamic Displays, a vendor for the University of Houston, said the televisions were installed in hopes of allowing the college to share their brand with students. One of the displays will offer a live television feed, while another will display content created by students.

“There will be some displays showcasing social media and then also the engineering feed, which the students are actually providing (by) doing the production work,” Ali said. “The main goal for putting these displays here is to just to actually create a brand awareness for the college and showcase all the great work that the students are doing and all the social media buzz that it enables (it to) create.”

The project started in September and was initially scheduled to be completed by the first week of November.

“One of the things about these displays is that the university is going to be able to control the content and then (that) content will move around,” Ali said. “So you always see fresh content playing on different displays at different times.  I know the College of Communication is really excited about this project and they’re wanting to share the brand with their visitors.”

The wall is set to become a symbol of the college and it will also be useful for emergency notifications. A video vault controller is also in the works to be constructed in the media production lab. LaRahia Smith, communication manager for Valenti, will manage the content that runs between the six displays after receiving training on the software. 

“We’re very excited about it because this is an opportunity for us to showcase Valenti,” Smith said. “A big thing this year is for us to be able to show what our faculty, students, staff is doing to make the school what it is because we have a lot of great things going for us.”

The college is also revamping their website with new content that is digitally appealing.  These displays are just another way to showcase the college’s recent advancements. 

“Students can sit out there in the hallway and while waiting for advising, we can have it to where students cue is up so they can kind of see instead of having them come back in (to the office area),” Smith said. “Then also having little profiles of our students and what they’re doing, (as well as) opportunities that are coming up – that’s how we kind of plan on using it. It’s a larger campaign to really build the Valenti School of Communication’s brand and get us out there to be as well known in our community as well known as Bauer or any other department on campus.”