Graduate School Guide Special Section

Most wallet-friendly graduate schools for your major

Is a graduate degree worth it? Depending on the field, people who continue their education to get master’s degrees typically do make a better salary than people with just their bachelor’s.

Now undoubtedly the best schools in the U.S. are going to be your typical Ivy League colleges like Stanford, Harvard and Columbia, but most of these schools are outrageously expensive with some costing as much as $60,000 or more per year.

Luckily, many of the cheaper options are right here in Texas. Here’s a good list of schools that offer top-tier graduate programs and their tuitions based on if you were a full-time student.

Business

The University of Texas at Austin McCombs School of Business

Tuition: $32,298 per year (in-state), $48,832 per year (out-of-state)

McCombs School of Business is currently ranked 17 in the top business schools in the U.S., and is ranked 40th in the world. The school offers various internship programs, giving students hands-on experience in various firms. It’s also the cheapest option for students who don’t want to move too far from home.

Indiana University Kelley School of Business

Tuition: $25,500 per year (in-state), $44,460 per year (out-of-state)

Kelley School of Business is currently tied for 21st best business school in the nation, and is fairly inexpensive given the tuition price of other top-tier universities. IU has close ties to China, making it a great university for those interested in global economies.

University of Washington Foster School of Business

Tuition: $29,250 per year (in-state), $43,086 per year (out-of-state)

Settled in the great city of Seattle, UW’s Foster School of Business is currently ranked 23rd in the nation. The benefit of this school is its close proximity to major companies like Amazon.com, Inc., Starbucks Corp. and Microsoft Corp.

Engineering

Texas A&M University – College Station Dwight Look College of Engineering

Tuition: $227 per credit (in-state), $581 per credit (out-of-state)

A&M was recently named in the top 10 engineering programs worldwide. It’s currently ranked number 12 in the nation, with specialty degrees focusing on computer science, electrical and chemical engineering and more. With its close proximity to Houston, A&M is a great choice for those not wanting to be too far from home.

University of Texas at Austin Cockrell School of Engineering

Tuition: $9,564 per year (in-state); $17,506 per year (out-of-state)

UT offers engineering programs specializing in more than 10 globally recognized fields ranging from aeronautical, chemical and environmental engineering and more. UT is also ranked third in the nation for civil engineering.

University of California – Berkley

Tuition: $11,220 per year (in-state); $26,322 per year (out-of-state)

If it weren’t for the cost, UC Berkley would be at the top of this list. UC Berkley is third in the nation for its engineering program. The university has an accelerated one-year master’s program, offering programs in industrial engineering and applied science and technology.

Social sciences, humanities and fine arts

The University of Texas at Austin

Tuition: $5,500 – $6,706 per semester (in-state), $11,106 – $12,697 per semester (out-of-state)

In terms of liberal arts schools, UT has almost every field of study you want. They offer master’s and doctorate programs in English, theatre, communication and is one of the best fine arts colleges in Texas.

The University of Houston – Main Campus

Tuition: $5277 – $6447 per semester (in-state), $12,627 – $13,797 per semester (out-of-state)

We can’t forget our own school. With the recent designation as a Tier I university, UH offers an array of programs right here at home. In particular, the Moores School of Music has been gaining prestige with its recent accomplishments, and the UH School of Theatre and Dance works hand in hand with the Alley Theatre right here in town, giving many opportunities for students.

Indiana Unversity

Tuition: $12,459 (in-state), $35,313 (out-of-state)
IU is renowned for its incredible music department. The school itself is currently tied for number one in the nation with The Julliard School. IU’s education and English departments are also highly prestigious.