Cougars risking perfect record against Bearcats on Saturday

UH head football coach Tom Herman throws up the Cougar sign at the pep rally.

Head coach Tom Herman is hoping for a sold-out crowd when the Cougars host the Cincinnati Bearcats in their homecoming game on Saturday afternoon. | File photo/The Cougar

The Cougars are 8-0 this season and undefeated in the American Athletic Conference, but they’re risking all that this weekend when they host the University of Cincinnati Bearcats.

UH will be looking to exorcise some demons against Cincinnati, as the Bearcats have beaten them each of the past two seasons.

Houston is coming off a dominating 34-0 win over Southeastern Conference-foe Vanderbilt University.

The defense played exceptionally well, holding Vanderbilt to 185 total yards and just 44 yards passing, including forcing four turnovers.

The offense also played a strong game, despite some mistakes, and junior quarterback Greg Ward Jr. now leads the nation in rushing touchdowns this year.

The Bearcats will also be looking to carry forward some momentum into this week, as they’re coming off a blowout-win over the University of Central Florida Knights, 52-7.

Cincinnati quarterback Gunner Kiel was perfect on the day, going 15-15 passing with 319 yards and five passing touchdowns.

The Cougars’ secondary faces a much tougher task this week against the potent Bearcats’ offense, and the secondary especially will have their hands full dealing with Kiel and his receivers, four of whom have recorded 400 or more receiving yards this season.

Cincinnati also has two 500-plus yard rushers this season, but UH boasts the 11th-best rushing defense in the nation, allowing an average of just over 100 yards per game on the ground.

Houston will be looking to keep its tie on top of the West division of the AAC, while the Bearcats will look to close some ground between themselves and Temple University in the East.

The Cougars and Bearcats are set to kickoff inside of TDECU Stadium on Saturday afternoon at 2:30 p.m.