Fountain is open, but not for long

Students' attention is drawn to the Cullen Family Plaza Fountain and Reflecting Pool as its fence is removed and its pool is refilled with water. | Photo by Justin Tijerina

The Cullen Family Plaza Fountain and Reflecting Pool garners attention as the fence is removed and its pool is refilled. | Photo by Justin Tijerina

If you walk past the Ezekiel W. Cullen, you will notice the fences that once surrounded the Cullen Family Plaza Fountain and Reflecting Pool are gone, and the water is back.

However, this is not for long.

Confirmed by Jeannie Kever, senior media relations specialist, UH is filling the fountain solely for homecoming week events and the picture taking opportunities.

Meaning, after homecoming week is over, students should expect the fences to return and the water to be drained. The construction project will continue until Spring 2016.

• The renovations of this fountain were supposed to be completed over the summer.
    Refilling it for homecoming week and draining it again is putting a bandaid over what is becoming readily apparent to me is a much larger structural problem than we’ve been told it is.
    If safety is a concern then by all means tell us that’s the problem and shut it down until you can figure it out, but I don’t buy in to the whole “funding problems” for renovations explanation we were given at the onset of the semester.