Lupe Fiasco, Wale and Slim Thug perform at Homecoming concert

Rapper and record producer Lupe Fiasco took the stage at the Hofheinz Pavilion alongside rappers Wale and Slim Thug for this year’s Varsity Red Homecoming concert Friday.

“I’ve been a fan of Lupe for a long time, and I’m just really excited to see him,” business sophomore Samir Nassar-Morales said.

But before Fiasco took the mic, Houstonian Slim Thug entered on stage. He performed some of his most popular songs, including “I Run” and “Houston” — which especially appealed to UH students who have great pride for their city.

“I didn’t know that Slim Thug was performing, so I was super excited when I walked in and saw him,” hotel and restaurant management junior Sydney Brown said.

As soon as Fiasco came on stage, cell phones flew up to capture the moment. His performance consisted of much interaction with the audience, leading chants such as, “Houston ain’t ready. Lupe ain’t ready,” and even the legendary UH chant, “Whose house? Coogs house!” to which Fiasco responded, “That’s cute.”

“Personally it doesn’t get any better than this,” Nassar-Morales said. “I get to enjoy two of my favorite passions, UH and music.” 

• Many thanks to the SPB for bringing this great show to UH. Lupe Fiasco was amazing and just all-around awesome. Wale was a bit too intoxicated and sloppy, but luckily Slim Thug opened up the night with some classic H-Town jams. All in all a great show. It was a shame to see that it was not as heavily attended as it could have been. While the SPB does a good job of advertising the concert on campus, it seems that a great opportunity to invite alumni or other UH friends from the community was missed. Either way, great GREAT SHOW!!!!