UH professor bestowed with distinguished service award in vision care

pat segu

Clinical associate professor at the UH College of Optometry Pat Segu was recently presented with the Distinguished Service Award at the 2015 American Public Health Association conference in Chicago by the Vision Care Section. Photo courtesy of Pat Segu.

Clinical associate professor at the UH College of Optometry Pat Segu sees a bright future for optical sciences and is contributing to the future of vision care. Segu was recently presented with the Distinguished Service Award at the 2015 American Public Health Association conference in Chicago by the Vision Care Section.

The award is presented to an individual, institution or group who has made an outstanding contribution or demonstrated continual high quality service in the area of public health eye and vision care. The Distinguished Service Award is the highest honor the section can bestow.  The Cougar sat down with Segu and asked her what she thought of her recent accomplishments, as well as what she has planned for her future at UH.

The Cougar: What inspired you to become an optometrist?

Pat Segu: I always knew that I would be a health care professional.  Optometrists play a very special role in caring for one of the most precious senses, the gift of sight.  As a health care professional, I am the primary eye care provider for my patients and serve as a gatekeeper.

TC: What challenges have you encountered in becoming an optometrist? 

PS: Working as an optometrist has been challenging. As I work in the community, I see firsthand the obstacles to care; whether it be medical care, dental care, eye care or social needs. Often times, patients cannot afford the care they need. Being a part of a community-based clinic made me realize the reality of other peoples’ struggle in the financial world and the daily challenges they face.

TC: How have you changed your patients’ lives? 

PS: Being part of the Kids Vision for Life Greater Houston Coalition has been an amazing journey. This partnership has allowed me to help improve access to vision care for children in our community.  Many of the children struggle academically because they are unable to see. With documented academic improvement, these children now have the opportunity to fulfill their life-long dreams and become productive citizens of the world.

TC: How have your patients changed your life? 

PS: (My) patients are very thankful. This inspires me to work even harder to help improve access to vision care and remove the barriers to it.  The Kids Vision for Life Greater Houston Coalition has allowed me to change the lives of so many children in need of eye care. Just reading the thank you notes from the children makes you want to smile.

TC: How is the award winner for the APHA-VCS 2015 Distinguished Service Award selected?

PS: The recipient for the Distinguished Service Award is selected by the APHA Vision Section Awards Committee. I was nominated by the Associate Dean for Professional Studies, Dr. Kimberly Lambreghts.  A nomination form along with a letter and support documentation were sent to the committee.

TC: What was your first reaction when you heard that you’ve been selected for the APHA – VCS 2015 Distinguished Service Award?

PS: I couldn’t believe it. I was actually in shock. The fact that it’s a national award made that moment even more surreal. I had to pinch myself. Never in my life did I ever think that I would be where I am in my career. When I went into optometry school, my vision was to be a professional and to serve patients. At one point, I thought I would go into private practice. But after completing my residency in hospital based optometry, I soon realized that I enjoyed clinical teaching. My career has evolved over the years. This special award has been a great turning point.

TC: How immense or important is this award to you? What does it mean to you as an optometrist and as a professor at UH?

PS: This award is very special to me.  It truly validates all the community outreach work that I have been involved with over the years for (UH).  This being said, the Kids Vision for Life Greater Houston Coalition continues to remain active and plans to implement parent education and early intervention programs at the school level to eliminate the barriers to care.

TC: Which service experience are you most proud of?

PS: I’m most proud of the Kids Vision for Life project. With this community outreach, I’m improving the “Life of a Child One Exam at a Time.” This coalition is a great example of how such a partnerships and collaboration can touch the lives of so many and make an everlasting impact on their future.

TC: How will you continue to provide your services to UH? What are your future plans or goals?

PS: In order to further our community outreach, the Kids Vision for Life Greater Houston Coalition is developing a service model that is mobile. Already, partnerships have been formed in San Antonio and Austin. We hope to develop a service model that other organizations across the country can replicate.  The administrative support from UH has allowed me to be part of a wonderful collaboration and partnership. Maybe one day on behalf of the University of Houston,  I will become the vision care coordinator for school-aged children for the City of Houston.