AP Poll: UH picks up three spots, moves into 13th place in rankings

Junior receiver Demarcus Ayers, right, hauled in 13 catches on the night for 127 yards receiving. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The Cougars are the only undefeated Group of Five team, as well as the only undefeated FBS team in Texas. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The Associated Press Top 25 poll for week 12 of the college football season saw a lot of movement, after an upset-filled Saturday night across the nation.

The Cougars continued their upward climb in the polls, jumping three spots after their win over the University of Memphis Tigers, moving into 13th.

Houston remains the highest ranked Group of Five team, and the only undefeated member of a non Power-5 conference.

The top three spots in the poll remained the same, with Clemson University, Ohio State University and the University of Alabama holding on to their spots in respective order.

Oklahoma State University and the University of Notre Dame each jumped into the top five at fourth and fifth respectively.

Four top-10 teams experienced losses, highlighted by the previously-fourth ranked Baylor University which dropped six spots to 10th, joined by Stanford University, Louisiana State University and the University of Utah, each of which fell out of the top-10.

Stanford, Utah and LSU tied for the largest drop in the poll this week, as each team dropped eight spots from their earlier rankings.

The University of Oklahoma, Michigan State University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill jumped the most spots in this week’s rankings, each moving up five places.

The number of ranked American Athletic Conference teams was halved this week, as Memphis and Temple University dropped from the rankings, but the United States Naval Academy joined Houston’s upward move, climbing three spots in 19th.

Along with Memphis and Navy, the University of California, Los Angeles and Mississippi State University dropped out of the top 25 with losses.

The Big 10 Conference continues to lead all conferences with the most ranked teams, with six members included in the poll, while the Pac-12 Conference sits in second with five teams ranked.

The Cougars’ next game is also their last road test of the season as they travel to take on the University of Connecticut, with kickoff planned for 2:30 p.m.