Academics & Research News

Bauer to host talk on managing finances

The Emerging Leaders Academic Success Program at C.T. Bauer College of Business will hold a financial planning workshop from 4 to 5 p.m. Wednesday at Melcher Hall to discuss the importance of finances and to provide tips for managing money.

Bauer professor John Lopez teaches financial planning courses, and he will be the keynote speaker at the presentation titled “The Path to Financial Security” that covers topics such as savings, debt management, investing and having a spending plan.

Lopez said students will get an understanding of the steps to take at an early age in order to become financially secure.

“It’s something that’s important and that the Bauer College of Business has done for the past five years; trying to expand financial literacy at The University of Houston. We offer courses in personal finance to all University of Houston students regardless of major or occupation,” said Lopez.

Whitney Thompson, program manager for student success at UH Bauer, explained how the workshop acts as a crash course in financial literacy for students, and is focused on topics requested by them.

“Students leave this workshop and often say, ‘This was my favorite workshop this semester, I learned so much,’” Thompson said. “Some of our students often then think about doing a major or minor in our personal finance track here at Bauer College.”

According to the ELASP website, the purpose of its program is to help students with a simple transition into UH Bauer, by providing them with educational tools to get connected and involved. The first semester, students are placed with a peer mentor to assist in community and networking opportunities.

“The idea is to help students learn how to manage their money as they transition from real world into work life,” Lopez said.

For more information on ELSAP, visit http://www.bauer.uh.edu/undergraduate/elasp/transfer/index.php.