CFP Rankings: Cougar reach No. 19 in CFP rankings

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-Brandon Wilson-IMG_7565

The Cougars are ranked No. 19 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings, their highest mark this season. | File photo/The Cougar

The College Football Playoff rankings are out and the Cougars are up five spots to No. 19 after completing a 20-point fourth-quarter comeback this season against the University of Memphis.

Conference foe Memphis stayed at No. 21 after Saturday’s loss while the United States Naval Academy jumped to No. 16 from No. 20 after its 55-14 rout of Southern Methodist University.

Temple University, who was an early favorite to win the conference and get a bid to a New Years Six bowl, suffered a big upset at the hands of the University of South Florida, dropping it out of the rankings.

The top five teams in the rankings stay unchanged, with Clemson University, the University of Alabama, Ohio State University, the University of Notre Dame and University of Iowa coming out with wins this weekend.

The middle of the rankings experienced a big shakeup. Louisiana State University experienced a six-spot descent after being defeated by the University of Arkansas, dropping them to No. 15.

Equally notable is the five-spot jump made by the University of North Carolina after its 59-21 victory over the University of Miami, raising it to No. 17.

Baylor University and Stanford University’s close defeats at the hands of then No. 12 University of Oklahoma and University of Oregon dropped them both four spots, putting them at No. 10 and No. 11, respectively.

After close victories, Texas Christian University and Northwestern University dropped to No. 18 and No. 20, respectively.

The Big Ten Conference has the strongest presence in the rankings with six teams in the top 25, five of which are in the top 20.

The Southeastern Conference and Pac-12 Conference are tied as the second-most-represented conferences, with four schools each.

Along with Temple, Mississippi State University and the University of California-Los Angeles experienced losses that dropped them out of the top 25.

The No.19 Cougars go on the road this weekend to take on the University of Connecticut at 2:30 p.m. Saturday.