Activities & Organizations News

SFAC denies one-time $250,000 request from athletics

Following the release of the recommendations from the Student Fees Advisory Committee, the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics one-time request for extra funds was denied.

Ahead of the season-opening game against the University of Oklahoma on Sept. 3, 2016, athletics requested a one-time $250,000 request to purchase tickets for students, provide transportation to and from the game at NRG Stadium and to host a tailgating event.

“Given the financial resources already made available to Athletics, the department should seek out alternative ways to fund this endeavor, rather than asking students to further subsidize in the midst of difficult fiscal conditions,” the report said. “The team’s profitability combined with financial resources within the department should be sufficient to cover this cost.”

The committee went on to remind the department that when they presented for a rise in student fees to help fund the building of TDECU Stadium, they ensured it would be the last time they asked for money from SFAC.

“The Mack Rhodes regime requested the largest fee increase in the University of Houston’s history and in return submitted a promise. If the student body would fund the illustrious new football stadium, Athletics would seek no new funds from the Student Service Fee pool,” the report said. “Notwithstanding the new administration tasked with leading the Athletics department, we as shepherds of the Student Service Fee remember this promise.”

The committee did commend the Athletics Department for dedicating approximately $3,375,000 of their base budget for FY 2016 to renovation and construction of projects on-campus, such as the Guy V. Lewis Basketball Center, the upcoming renovations and additions to Cougar Field and the renovation project of Hofheinz Pavilion.

SFAC recommended that the base budget for FY 2016-2017 remain constant at the previous year’s level of $4,407,707 for athletics.