Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Election recap: primary season gets ugly

Hillary_Clinton_in_November_2014

Hillary Clinton has begun going on the offensive against her main opponent, Bernie Sanders. | Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

It’s primary election season and that means presidential candidates in both parties are going to begin thinning the heard until the last man (or woman) is standing.

Here’s a recap of what you may have missed:

I. Hillary Clinton begins attacking Bernie Sanders

Hillary Clinton began a major offensive last week against Bernie Sanders, mostly focusing on his record on gun control and healthcare. With the news that Sanders is quickly catching up in the polls and overtaking the top spot in New Hampshire polling, her attacks come across as a desperate attempt to get voters on her side again. Clinton claimed that Sander’s healthcare plan would “completely dismantle Medicare,” which makes no sense seeing as Sanders has been fighting for a Medicare for all system virtually his entire political career.

II. Ted Cruz and Donald Trump’s bromance is over

At the beginning of 2016, Ted Cruz was shown to have overtaken Donald Trump in Iowa polls, and this seems to have caused some concern for Trump. Then Cruz comes out and attacks Trump, demeaning him by saying  that Trump represents “New York values.” With the combination of Trump’s very small lead in Iowa and Cruz’s attacks on his home state, Trump decided to finally break from his good standing relationship with the Texas Senator, showing that primary season truly is the more vicious part of the presidential election cycle.

III. A Houston lawyer is suing Ted Cruz about his eligibility to run for President

Though Ted Cruz was born in Canada, he is technically still allowed to run for president due to his natural-born citizenship from his American mother. This did not stop veteran Houston lawyer Newton Boris Schwartz from filing a lawsuit against Cruz, questioning the constitutionality of his eligibility to run for president. It isn’t exactly clear in the Constitution that just having an American parent immediately makes you a citizen, but past court cases show that this is the case.

This all seems to be stemming from Trump, who seems to be revitalizing the “birther” frenzy and stir up the xenophobes in America. It just goes to show it doesn’t really matter if you’re black or white; if you’re citizenship is questioned, people will bandwagon for the chance to get rid of someone they don’t deem American enough.

Opinion editor Anthony Torres is a political science junior and may be reached at [email protected]

Tags: