Local artist, UH alumna’s painting finds home at TDECU

WEB-DSCN0443

“Victory, Character and Strength” pays homage to UH’s football program and is now located in the TDECU Your Credit Union suite. | Photo courtesy of Suzanne Sellers.

After being commissioned by the Texas Dow Employees Credit Union to create an artwork for the stadium, a local artist and UH alumna’s painting commemorating the University was recently moved to its new home in the TDECU Your Credit Union suite at TDECU Stadium.

“When completing the suite at (the) stadium, the credit union wanted to give it a final touch with a piece of art that told a story,” Merideth Miller, managing partner for M2 Agency said. “We were looking for a visual that would tie-in to the stadium, the football program and the school at the local level. The addition of the painting capped off the suite in a way that tells a story.”

The piece called “Victory, Character and Strength” pays homage to UH’s football program and features a collage of images that symbolize the past and present of the team.

“Doing something related to football is not really my wheelhouse, so that was a challenge,” artist and UH alumna Suzanne Sellers said.

“I think it symbolizes the strength of UH; it speaks to the University, and of course right now they just had such a fabulous season.”

Sellers is a local contemporary-realistic artist known for her visually striking murals. Her work can be seen all over the city, specifically in downtown where she completed many large-scale corporate murals.

She earned her master’s in art from UH in 1990.

“In seeking an artist for the painting, TDECU looked for someone who had a connection with the city and the University of Houston,” Miller said. “In addition to being a talented local artist renowned for her mural work, Suzanne attended school at the main campus, making her a great selection to complete the piece.”

The piece was commissioned by TDECU directly and was made because of the Texas Commission on the Arts, which allows for any state public construction project costing $250,000 to allot one percent of its budget to public art.

“I think (the policy) is fabulous for the arts,” Sellers said.

“It just gives artists an opportunity to develop commission but it also gives universities that are in places that can be somewhat boring a new venue for a piece of art. And when you have art then you have conversation and intrigue. It’s just another way to beautify a space.”