Sports Women's golf

Women’s golf looking for a spring-time turnaround

WEB-Chadwell_Thothong

Sophomore Megan Thothong and head coach Gerrod Chadwell will be looking for a strong spring to end the year on a good note. | File photo/The Cougar

Women’s golf will kick off the spring portion of the schedule in February, and the team will have a tough time living up to the expectations set last season.

In its first year of team competition, the Cougars brought home their first team championship, claimed third in the AAC, finished 13th at the NCAA San Antonio Regional and were ranked No. 15 nationally in the off-season.

While third-year head coach Gerrod Chadwell is proud of his team’s achievements, he isn’t counting on an easy road.

“I think there are realistic expectations of just taking another step forward, and that’s our job as coaches—to just keep pushing them,” Chadwell said. “Last year was last year, and we can’t do anything about that now.”

Through the fall, the Cougars did not find the same success they had a year ago, failing to finish in the top five as a team, after doing so in four of five tournaments last season.

Ranked 48th nationally, according to Golf Week, UH will have a long way to go to return to form.

After already accomplishing more than expected, the team has rallied together and is ready to face the climb ahead of them.

“Our team isn’t just about golf,” sophomore Megan Thothong said. “When we go out to play, we don’t just play for the nine girls on the team, we play for the school. We will be ready for the challenges.”

Returning champs

After winning the University of North Florida Collegiate last season, the pressure will be on for the Cougars to defend the first title in the program’s history.

Last year, UH finished this tournament with four players in the top 10, including the top two spots, and finished 15 strokes ahead of in-state rival University of Texas.

With a favorable history there, the two-day tournament will represent a pivotal point in the Cougars’ season.

Individual players

Megan Thothong

A sensation as a freshman, Thothong was the driving force in the team’s performance at the UNF Collegiate, also taking home the individual championship.

Through the fall, the sophomore has remained a front-runner on the green for UH, leading the team in average score, par rounds and is the only player to finish in the top five of a tournament.

The Dallas native may be young, but she has proven herself a talented player and should once again be a keystone player for the Cougars.

Raegan Bremer

The lone senior on the team, Bremer is a leader on and off the course for the Cougars.

As a two-time All-American Athletic Conference player, and the 2014 Houston Baptist University Husky Invitational individual champion, Bremer has the skins on the wall and has proven herself a consistent and skilled golfer.

If the Cougars are to pick up steam as the season progresses, they will need the experience that Bremer brings.

Despite the bumpy start to the season, the team views the spring as a fresh start and has not lost sight of the goals set.

“We definitely want to make it to nationals,” Bremer said.  “We made it to regionals. We know the game, so nationals will be the goal.”