Five things to look forward to this week

Study Abroad - Stefanie Cruz

Students can experience South American culture like anthropology alum Stefanie Cruz when she got to travel to Florianópolis, Brazil in 2013 through the Learning Abroad program. | Courtesy of Stefanie Cruz

To start of your Monday off right, here are a five events around campus this week including a reading from a book that reconfigures the notions of technology and transnationalism, a rally where Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner and President Khator come together to celebrate the team’s Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl win and a chance for students to learn about the Learning Abroad program.

Monday: Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl Championship Rally and basketball game

Legends Plaza, later followed at Hofheinz Pavilion

6 to 9:30 p.m.

UH and the City of Houston invite all students and community to celebrate and honor the 2015 Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl win with a citywide Championship rally.

The evening will kick off with Mayor Sylvester Turner honoring the Houston squad at the Plaza, located at gate 1 on TDECU Stadium’s northeast corner.  Continuing the festivities, students should check out the Cougar’s Men’s Basketball Game vs. SMU, immediately following the rally, which ends at 7 p.m., at Hofheinz Pavilion and a speech from Coach Tom Herman at halftime.

Tickets for the game start at just $5 and can be purchased here. For students, the entry is free with their student ID.

“What a glorious ride the Cougars gave Houston football fans in 2015,” said Mayor and UH alumni Sylvester Turner. “It was exciting to watch my alma mater rack up win after win against tough teams. I was overwhelmed with pride at the championship performance of Coach Tom Herman and his dedicated team. We are pulling out all the stops to recognize their victorious season.”

Tuesday: Food Service and Student Housing Town Hall 

Fresh Food Company at Moody Towers

6 to 7 p.m.

Take a chance to learn about events of the previous year in UH Dining and Housing and the projections for the coming year. The proposed fees and rates are presented in order to provide an opportunity for student questions and feedback.

Last year’s dining and housing programs experienced a number of positive changes over the past year to help improve the student experience, such as Cougar Cash discounts, other key changes include unrestricted guest pass usage on Sasha Swipe and Cougar Choice plans and a tiered plan pricing system.

The meeting will provide light refreshments for all who attend.

Thursday: Learning abroad fair 

M.D. Anderson Library Rockwell Pavilion 2nd Floor

11 to 2 p.m.

Find out more about learning abroad opportunities for students and faculty. Exhibitors will include faculty program leaders, affiliated providers, scholarship organizations, academic departments and the UH Learning Abroad and Passport for Coogs team members.

For more information, contact Maggie Brock at [email protected].

Thursday: “Electric Santeria” reading and author talks about 

Student Center North in the Synergy Room 212

11:30 to 1 p.m.

“Electric Santería: Racial and Sexual Assemblages of Transnational Religion” by Aisha M. Beliso-De Jesús, details the transnational experience of Santería, in which racialized and gendered spirits, deities, priests and religious travelers remake local, national and political boundaries and actively reconfigure notions of technology and transnationalism.

Santería is an African-inspired, Cuban diaspora religion long stigmatized as witchcraft and often dismissed as superstition, yet its spirit-and possession-based practices are rapidly winning adherents across the world.

Jesús is an associate professor of African American religions at Harvard Divinity School. A cultural and social anthropologist, she studies media, circulation and religious travel of African diaspora religions from a transnational feminist approach.

If you have any questions, contact Sandra Enriquez at 713-743-3214.

Thursday: UH Speakers Bureau Training

Synergy Room 212 in the Student Center North

3 to 5 p.m.

One of the most effective ways to educate your campus on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender issues is to interact directly with members of the campus community. The LGBTQ Resource Center is putting forward an organized way to do this is through a speakers bureau.

A speakers bureau consists of a panel of trained volunteers who are willing to speak about their lives and experiences to various groups on campus such as classrooms, student organizations and resident halls.

For any additional information, contact Skye Nava at [email protected].