Sports Women's golf

Cougars capture team championship in first spring event

WEB-Chadwell_Thothong

Head coach Gerrod Chadwell and the Cougars claimed a victory in their first team event of the spring season. | File photo/The Cougar

After shooting their third consecutive +7 over par round as a team, the Cougar women’s golf team picked up a win in their first team competition of the season, claiming the tournament title at the University of Central Florida Challenge.

The Cougars came back from being six strokes down after the second round to win by one stroke over conference-rival Tulane University, shooting +21 over par as a team for the event.

“We stayed on them and really challenged them entering the final round,” head coach Gerrod Chadwell said in a news release. “This was a great championship for us and a great teaching moment for our ladies.”

A pair of Cougars, senior Raegan Bremer and sophomore Yuka Kajiki, shot -1 under par rounds, each carding a 71 for the day, propelling the Cougars into first place.

Bremer placed in a tie for sixth at the event at +4 over par, while junior Emily Gilbreth and sophomore Megan Thothong finished one and two strokes behind her at +5 and +6, putting them in ties for 11th and 16th.

Kajiki moved up into a tie for 28th place at +9 over, while sophomore Maddy Rayner shot +20 over for the event and placed in a tie for 77th.

The Cougars now have about a month off before their next action at the University of North Florida Collegiate, which starts on March 7 in Jacksonville, Fla.