Activities & Organizations News

New club combines worlds of fashion, business

With more than 400 student organizations on campus, ranging from academics, business, technology and Greek life to pre-health, one student believed something was missing.

Marketing junior Kenisha Smith founded Fashion And Business,  a new organization that brings together the worlds of fashion and business.

Smith first discovered FAB by googling “Fashion and Business” and came across the University of Minnesota’s FAB organization.

After some more digging, Smith realized UH did not have any organizations on campus that related to the fashion industry and thought FAB would be a perfect addition. She was intrigued by the organization’s values, culture and beliefs and knew she had to start a chapter on campus.

“We will seek the many different opportunities within the fashion industry and connect and expose members to those opportunities,” Smith said.

FAB organizations exist at universities across the nation, including at the University of Minnesota, Tulane University, University of Utah and now, a brand new chapter at UH.

The UH chapter has 15 members.

In order to start the organization, Smith had to dream up her own vision for the club. Then she reached out to Lisa Kuplic, FAB president at the University of Minnesota, to begin the journey of creating a new chapter.

“I have a passion for fashion and want to learn everything about the industry,” Smith said. “I believe FAB will help students here by providing an outlet for students to explore the different opportunities in the fashion industry and by linking them with professionals within the industry while simultaneously contributing to their personal and professional development.”

In order for FAB to be an official student organization, Smith had to go through a registration process and attend orientation and risk management training from the Center for Student Involvement. She also had to sign a FAB national outreach letter and completed an agreement contract with FAB National.

Smith appointed Whitney Thompson, Bauer College of Business program manger for student success, as an adviser for the organization. The best part of her job as the new FAB adviser, Thompson said, is helping students figure out what success looks like to them.

fab web

FAB Advisor Whitney Thompson (left) with FAB founder and president Kenisha Smith said FAB is not like any other organization on campus. | Courtesy of Kenisha Smith.

“I’m not aware of any organization on campus for students such as FAB, so to be a part of this student organization is exciting,” Thompson said. “I think FAB will be a huge benefit to all the students who have a love for fashion but also for business – no matter what major they are.  This organization will be where students can unleash their creativity and excitement around a common theme, and that is where great things begin to happen.”

The business aspect of FAB consists of workshops, resume critiquing, brand development and how to handle presentations.

“We will also have guest speakers come and teach financial responsibility (and) how to obtain excellent credit,” Smith said.

FAB is open to all students interested in sharing ideas and building connections in the worlds of fashion and business. The club will hold meetings twice a week for members and weekly for board members.

Integrated communications junior Roxi Fam said she joined FAB because she enjoys expressing her style through different looks.

“FAB is a great start to set the tone for one’s personal branding,” Fam said. “I am looking forward to what I can bring to FAB through my love for fashion as well as connecting with other passionate fashionistas.”

The club’s first meeting will be at 1 p.m. Thursday at the Student Center South Museum District Room 211.

To join FAB or for more information, email Kenisha Smith at [email protected].