Nation News

UPDATE: SGA recruiting student volunteers for GOP debate

Student Government Association Chief of Staff Adrian F. Castillo prepares paperwork for students who applied to volunteer for the Feb. 25 GOP debate on campus. Castillo said SGA received more than 500 applications, which sit organized in red folders on his desk. | The Cougar/ Brittaney Penney

Update Feb. 12 5:06: Volunteer applications officially closed at 5 p.m. Fri., Feb.12.

Submissions totaled at 548 applications, Director of Media Relations, P’nina Topham, said.

“This tremendous interest is a testament to our active and engaged student body,” Topham said. “Volunteer responsibilities range from general and show runners to rehearsal stand-ins, from marketing and PR assistance, to onsite audience seating assistance.”

Approximately 75 volunteers shifts will be filled.

According to a press release, UH “does not have debate tickets available. All tickets are managed by the Republican National Committee.”

Original: After UH confirmed that it will host a Republican presidential debate on Feb. 25, the Student Government Association announced Thursday that it is recruiting student volunteers to help with the historic event.

Those who are interested must act quickly: the deadline to apply to participate in the debate is Friday.

“This is an incredible opportunity for our Cougar community to demonstrate to the nation and to the world the outstanding caliber of our academics, student life and culture,” SGA President Shaun Theriot-Smith said in an email to students.

Students interested in volunteering can submit applications through the Get Involved site here.

SGA will follow up students who submit applications with an interview to be considered for a position. The interviews will begin immediately and, excluding the weekend, will run until Monday, Feb. 15.

Volunteer shifts run from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. or 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. based on the specific role. Volunteers will be required to be available for the entire full day shift.

For additional information regarding the debate, check out www.uh.edu/debate.