Sports Tennis

Cougars looking for first win against A&M

Junior Despoina Vogasari took wins both in the singles and doubles matches on the day. | Justin Cross/The Cougar

Junior Despoina Vogasari has a 13-7 overall record for the Cougars this season after picking up a doubles and singles win last weekend. | File photo/The Cougar

After dropping its first two home games of the season, the women’s tennis team heads back out on the road for a weekend match against Texas A&M University.

The Cougars are 0-7 this season, but are looking to pick up an upset-win over the nationally 16th-ranked Aggies.

Last weekend, UH hosted a pair of ranked Pac-12 foes, the University of Arizona and University of Oregon, and dropped the matches by scores of 7-0 and 5-2.

Despite the rough start to the season, some Cougars have played well overall. Junior Despoina Vogasari has a 13-7 overall record this season for UH.

The team has also been playing without two of its top players, sophomores Angela Lorenzo and Mina Markovic, who have been sitting out with injuries.

Texas A&M comes into the match with a 4-3 record this season and a 1-2 weekend last week, where it suffered losses to the 7th and 9th ranked teams in the nation, Duke University and the University of Virginia.

The Cougars and Aggies’ match starts at 1 p.m. on Saturday in College Station before the Cougars return home for a double-header Feb.20.