Friday, May 26, 2017

PTS to propose raising parking rates at next Regents meeting

Parking and Transportation Services, in collaboration with the Transportation and Parking Advisory Committee, will submit a plan to increase parking rates across campus to the Board of Regents at its meeting Thursday afternoon.

Under the proposal, Economy passes would rise to $165 from $99, Resident Reserved would rise to $495 from $445 and Annual Garage would increase to $515 from $463.

“TPAC is not raising the rates,” TPAC director Robert Browand said in an email to the Cougar. “The rates are part of the long-term parking plan developed by PTS.”

Browand said the long-term parking plan addresses parking issues such as repairs, maintenance and improvements of campus parking lots and streets, funding for garage debt service costs, funding for increased operating expenses and improvement and expansion of services.

While Browand said TPAC hopes the Board will approve the proposal for the 2016-2017 fiscal year, he stressed that the increase in parking rates is not solely an advisement from TPAC; it is a long-term plan initiated by PTS.

“The increase is needed to address necessary repairs to our parking infrastructure and to support the operational needs of the department,” he said.

Other items on the agenda for the meeting include an update on ongoing UH Athletics facilities, approval for a College of the Arts department on campus and awarding the Bonner Leaders Program the Academic Excellence Award.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

• Bobocefus Jones

How about a University wide audit of each department to cut waste and spending. Why do the students have to always pay more.

• Mansgame

You mean like the stadium?

• Bobocefus Jones

No … the stadium should be off limits for audits.

• Organite

Academic departments are not where budget cuts need to be made. Most departments are very underfunded and understaffed. My major was so understaffed that most of our senior level required classes were only taught once a year.

• Mansgame

But hey, the football team might get a $20million indoor facility that no other students who will be paying for it can ever set foot in! Yay! Is this what you wanted students?

Does the construction along Spur 5, which will eventually impact the U.S. 59 north and south on-ramps from I-45, affect your commute to class?

• Yes, my commute will be dramatically different and much longer (36%, 38 Votes)
    • My commute will be slightly impacted, but it's not too much of a nuisance (29%, 31 Votes)
    • I don't commute/ I never use I-45 or Spur 5 (23%, 24 Votes)
    • I commute but had no idea about the construction (12%, 13 Votes)

Total Voters: 106