Busy weekend slate sees action for eight Cougar teams

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_1021

Athletics will have eight teams in action, including the men’s basketball team hosting their second-to-last home game of the season. | File photo/The Cougar

It will be a busy weekend for athletics as the final spring sports gets underway, with baseball’s opening series, men’s golf hosting their first event of the spring and softball welcoming a number of teams to campus.

Softball kicks off the weekend early on Friday with a pair of matches against the University of Toledo and Iowa State University.

As well as Toledo and ISU, softball is also hosting Ball State University and the University of Texas at Austin in the Hilton Houston Plaza Invitational.

Men’s baseball kicks off their season at 6:30 p.m. at Darryl and Lori Schroeder Park, playing host to Villanova University. The Cougars enter the season ranked No. 12 in the nation, and junior starting pitcher Andrew Lantrip will take the mound for the Cougars in their first of three games against the Wildcats.

Men’s golf will host day one of the All-American Intercollegiate tournament, a 16-team tournament, with the Cougars looking to continue building momentum for the spring season and take their second win in as many outings.

Women’s swimming will host day three of the American Athletic Conference championship meet at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center natatorium, which continues through Saturday.

Saturday will see even more action as women’s tennis plays host to a double meet against Prairie View A&M University and Southern University, with their first match at 10 a.m. followed by their follow up against Southern at 3 p.m.

Women’s basketball hosts the University of Cincinnati in their second to last home game of the season, looking to pick up a second conference win for the year. Tipoff is at 1 p.m.

Softball will play yet another double-header on Saturday, facing off against Ball State and Toledo in the second day of the tournament, while Cougar baseball and Villanova will square off in the second game of their series.

On Sunday, men’s basketball returns home for their second-to-last game of the season at Hofheinz, where they’ll host Temple University, looking to continue their three-game win streak and continue climbing the standings in the American Athletic Conference. Tipoff between the Cougars and Owls will be at 6 p.m.

Softball will finish off their first home outing of the season with a game against Texas, men’s baseball wraps up their first home series of the season against Villanova and men’s golf wraps the third day of their tournament as well on Sunday.