Five things to look forward to this week

Embed from Getty Images

To start of your Monday morning off right here five events circulating campus during the next few days, including a Republican presidential candidate debate, a Student Government Association Presidential Debate and a career and internship fair for all students.

Tuesday: Spring Grad-Fair

Barnes & Noble

9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

May 2016 graduates, get ready to order graduation regalia during the campus-wide Spring-Grad-Fair in the Student Center Bookstore. Caps, gowns, custom announcements, official UH rings, frames, stoles, pictures and diploma covers will be available for all seniors. Representatives will be available to assist you.

Tuesday: ‘Living Archives: Ending Sexual Assault’

M.D. Anderson Library

11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The event, hosted by Friends of Women’s Studies, will feature a panel discussion on sexual assault. “Ending Sexual Assault: How do we get there?” is part of the Barbara Karkabi Living Archives Series and features interviews with women from the Houston area, which are videotaped and collected in the Carey C. Shuart Women’s Archive at the UH library, Special Collections.

The panel, moderated by faculty member Beverly McPhail, will include: Assistant Vice Chancellor/Vice President for Equal Opportunity Services Richard Baker, Head Football Coach Tom Herman, journalist Jessica Luther, and Sexual Violence Prevention and Education Program Manager Laura J. McGuire from UH Wellness Center.

The organization brings this event free to all students and members of Friends, but otherwise charge $10 for visitors.

Wednesday: Spring Career and Internship Fair

Hilton Hotel Ballroom

1 to 4 p.m.

This year’s fair is sponsored by University Career Services. This Career Fair is open to all campus students and alumni. Attendees are required to dress professionally and to bring multiple resumes. UCS asks all those attending to RSVP for the event.

Wednesday: SGA Presidential Debate

SC Theatre

7 p.m.

The Cougar will host this year’s presidential debate as SGA’s three parties — John Fields’s ‘POWERHOUSE,’ Edwin Mascorro’s ‘Hype Party’ and Shane Smith’s ‘Project Red: Better Food. Better Wi-Fi. Better Parking,’ will answer questions and hash out issues that affect students; including on-campus programming, parking, dining and on-campus residential options.

The event will be co-moderated by political science associate professor Jason Casellas, Coog Radio’s Sebastian Troitiño, CoogTV’s Matthew Stell and The Cougar’s Glissette Santana.

Thursday: Republican Presidential Candidate’s Debate

Moores Opera House

7 to 9 p.m.

CNN and Telemundo will host the Republican presidential candidates’ debate Thursday evening.

A Google Spin Room and Media Filing Center covering the event will be located in the Alumni Center’s Yeoman Fieldhouse. CNN will be broadcasting on the UH Cullen Lawn Wednesday to Friday.

Last week, UH opened a 25-ticket raffle for seats and received more than 200 entries within six minutes, said P’Nina Topham, according to the Houston Chronicle.

For those interested in watching the debate, the university will also be hosting student and faculty watch parties around campus.