Tuesday, September 17, 2019

The strengths, weaknesses of the SGA presidential candidates

It’s campaign season here at UH, and this year we have three solid candidates for Student Government Association president.

Here’s a breakdown of their strengths and weaknesses.

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_2107

| Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

PowerHouse party

Fields mentions it in his slogan “Experience, Dedication, Service,” and the fact is he has had the most experience with SGA out of all the candidates. In his op/ed, he discusses issues like improving academic advising, a major issues other candidates haven’t discussed much. He focuses on a broad range of issues and solutions that actually will impact students and takes a realistic stance on the fact that parking issues aren’t something that can be fixed quickly. His biggest fault may actually be one of his best qualities: his positive attitude. He might have trouble on occasion with using his executive position to strong-arm the Senate.

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_2109

| Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

Hype Party

Mascorro has one main focus: increasing student engagement. He wants to work toward increasing funding for student organizations to increase student involvement, therefore creating a better student atmosphere. He prides himself on the successes of UH students. He is a veteran, a minority and a member of Greek life, so he represents a good demographic that isn’t represented in the other candidates. But student involvement isn’t necessarily an “issue” per say. School spirit has been getting better over the years, so I think the students are more concerned about UH trying to increase tuition fees and trying to fix parking than the desire to be apart of an organization.

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_2114

| Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

Project Red: Better Food. Better Wi-Fi. Better Parking. party.

Smith focuses his campaign on three main issues: food, internet and parking. In his op-ed, he outlines his plans specifically for parking and how to make it more efficient. Smith has experience on many committees, including the Transportation and Parking Committee, so he knows the ins-and-outs of the system. He plans to propose digital “space available” signs for the parking lots, something that would probably cost a lot of money. He said the way to pay for it is by selling advertisements in the form of billboards and painted pavement ads. SGA has essentially no power over the parking situation, so this could be an issue.

CORRECTION: The breakdowns have been edited for clarification.

Opinion editor Anthony Torres is a political science junior and can be reached at [email protected]

Tags: ,