Activities & Organizations News

CMAS honors legendary Latina women with “Tres Vidas”

WEB-Kyrie-Bouressa-IMG_0612

“Tres Vidas” honored the lives of three legendary Latina women: Mexican painter Frida Kahlo, Salvadorian peasant Rufina Amaya and Argentinian poet Alfonsina Storni. | Kyrie Bouressa/The Cougar.

Students learned about the lives of three of legendary Latin American women in a chamber music theater production of “Tres Vidas” Monday evening at the Student Center South Theater.

The production consisted of three acts that were dedicated to Mexican painter Frida Kahlo, Salvadorian peasant Rufina Amaya and Argentinian poet Alfonsina Storni. Actress Rosa Rodriguez portrayed all three women.

Rodriguez opened the production with her portrayal of Frida Kahlo, one of the most significant Mexican artists, in which she opened up to the audience about Kahlo’s life. Her monologue touched on Kahlo’s relationship with Diego Rivera, her artistic career and the tragic incident that left her partially disabled.

Rodriguez also portrayed Rufina Amaya, the sole survivor of the El Mozote massacre in 1981 that claimed the lives of 700 civilians during the Salvadorian Civil War. Amaya’s scene described the event and her survival, which was initially denied by the Salvadorian government.

The final act was dedicated to Argentinian poet Alfonsina Storni. She discussed her career as a feminist poet and columnist. The act concluded with Storni’s death by the sea. 

The Core Ensemble, consisting of a pianist, cellist and percussionist, accompanied Rodriguez onstage. The ensemble backed Rodriguez in the musical numbers that helped tell the stories of the three women.

Sonia Ramirez, marketing and communication assistant for the Center for Mexican American Studies and event coordinator, said the event was in celebration of Women’s History Month and aims to educate the community on the work of the three Latina women.

“We hope that (students) will take away the importance of (their) influence in our community and the important work women are contributing to our society,” Ramirez said.

The event was co-sponsored by CMAS, as well as the Department of Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies and the Department of Hispanic Studies.

Ramirez said all proceeds from admissions benefit a CMAS academic excellence achievement program and scholarships.

Business sophomore Steve Corona said that he offered to volunteer for the event and decided to stay for the play.

“I think this is a great way to learn about the diversity and the women in our culture,” Corona said.

Corona also thinks there should be more events like “Tres Vidas” on campus to really demonstrate the diversity within the Hispanic culture.

Higher education graduate student and CMAS intern Jose Gonzalez said this is the first time that “Tres Vidas” has been brought on campus.

“’Tres Vidas’ has been successfully running for a few years, but we were fortunate enough to be able to bring (it) to the center (for) students to really see the lives of these three legendary women.”