Softball Sports

Softball hosts Sam Houston State in Tuesday double header

WEB-Justin-Cross_DSC8402

After a 2-1 series loss against Oklahoma State, the Cougars will be hoping to get back in the win column with a double header against Sam Houston State. | Justin Cross/The Cougar

The softball team continues its home stand with a pair of games against Sam Houston State University on Tuesday, looking to bounce back from a series loss against Oklahoma State University.

The Cougars split a pair of games last Saturday, winning the first 10-9 before dropping the second 12-3. In the rubber match, the Cowgirls took a 7-3 win over the Cougars, earning the weekend win.

Now the Cougars host the Sam Houston State Bearkats, looking to improve on their 4-5 record during the month of March.

A youth movement has largely led the Cougars this season with a number of freshmen starting and putting up good numbers for the team.

Two freshmen, outfielder Maya Thomas and catcher Brooke Vannoy, are two of the top three Cougars in terms of batting average with .439 and .329 averages respectively. Vannoy has started every single game this season while Thomas has 22 starts and has appeared in 24 out of the 25 games for UH this year.

Senior center fielder Katie St. Pierre is also among offensive leaders for UH, batting .400 and  starting all 25 games for UH. In 70 at-bats, St. Pierre has 28 hits, 8 RBI and has drawn 17 walks, the most on the team.

The pitching rotation has also had its own injection of young talent. Freshmen Presley Bell and Savannah Heebner have made eight and six starts for the Cougars respectively, Bell with a 4.81 ERA and Heebner with a 5.00 era. They have also combined for five wins and nine losses.

The Cougars and Bearkats’ double header starts with first pitch at 4 p.m. and again at 6 p.m. at the Cougar Softball Stadium on Tuesday.