Activities & Organizations News

New honor society drafts second class of top 27 seniors

As the spring semester comes to a close and seniors prepare to take the stage, an opportunity to leave a mark has been rekindled by Senior 27, an honor society that recognizes the top 27 graduating seniors.

“We created Senior 27 to have a society which recognizes students who have done tremendous things for the University of Houston,” program coordinator Scotty Lopez said. “It could be anything from their degrees to their grades, but it’s also a society which recognizes the students that have done a lot of volunteering to help promote the University of Houston. That could be mentoring students, tutoring students or being a part of the Student Government Association.”

This year’s chosen graduates will make up the new society’s second class of Senior 27 students. Senior 27 is named after the UH Alumni Association’s foundation year, 1927.

As Senior 27 engages graduates, the UHAA creates a network of people to essentially join together and connect them to their alma mater.

“There’s a various number of groups we could get them connected with among our constitute groups,” Lopez said. “For example, if they’re in Sugar Land we could get them to connect with the Fort Bend alumni association.

“If they’re Hispanic or Latino, we could get them connected with the Hispanic alumni association. If they’re an athlete, we could connect them to the Cougar Alliance so they could start helping that alumni group with their knowledge and their passion about it to keep those groups going.”

Lopez and Gibbs-Smith made it clear that students can benefit from membership in the honor society.

“It helps on applications to see that you were recognized for your contribution to the University and that you worked to make a difference,” Senior 27 member Kelley Poblete said.

Senior 27 could benefit UH as well by providing the University with passionate graduates that could serve as potential partners.

“We do see them as passionate about the University and maybe we could get them to come back as champions of the University and standing by our side,” Lopez said.

Members such as Poblete were chosen through a selection committee comprised of UH staff members, the UHAA board and members from the Division of Student Affairs.

“We get everyone to see the list of applicants and nominate students,” Lopez said. “Whoever has the most nominations by the selection committee will get promoted or selected for Senior 27.”

Despite the nomination process, Lopez said the ranking doesn’t matter once a student is selected.

“There is no top spot; you are a part of Senior 27,” Lopez said. “While someone may have had four nominations, and someone else might’ve had one, it really doesn’t matter. Anyone who is in the top 27 group is considered top 27 in no rank order.”

Poblete advices graduating and soon-to-be seniors to “just do it.”

“Never think that what you did was not enough or it was nothing compared to someone else’s accomplishments,” Poblete said. “Don’t compare yourself because this society is meant to bring out the diversity in our University and showcase the students that have worked to make a difference within our UH community and within the Houston community.”

The deadline to apply is April 1 and selected students will be honored at a reception May 5.