Activities & Organizations News

Frontier Fiesta showcases local talent for day two performances

Frontier Fiesta’s Friday performances featured local talent that lured Houstonians from all corners of the city.

MC i Ckan Ryme

Frontier Fiesta opened up with UH student MC i Ckan Ryme performing at the Bud Light Stage.

Playing before a crowd of 30-40 students, visitors and families, MC i Ckan Ryme rapped and sang under the hot afternoon sun.

Bead throwing, jokes and a moment of silence for recently deceased rapper Phife Dawg were also a part of the audience’s experience, who bobbed their heads and danced along to the music.

“This is my first time here, and it looks like fun,” said Callie Bailey, 20, student attending Houston Community College and many of Frontier Fiesta’s activities.

Bailey knows MC i Ckan Ryme, and she came out to show support.

“I’ve worked hard to get where I got to be,” Ryme said during the casual performance.

Ryme is currently well known online for her performances, drawing in 47,400 followers on Vine.

Sugar Joiko

At 6:40 p.m., UH alumna Sugar Joiko and her three-piece band came out to the stage.

Opening with a version of Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky,” Sugar Joiko’s set went through a few other covers as well as some original songs.

The crowd was less intimate for this second performance, drawing on more viewers as time went on. Those who stayed to watch danced for the duration.

“I thought she was sick,” said Alexis McConnell-Ibarra, a friend of Ryme’s who stayed and danced through both shows. “I don’t think there were enough people there, but they had great energy.”

A More Perfect Union

At 8 p.m., A More Perfect Union began the last performance of the night. The group was voted Best Local Music Act in Coogs Choose 2015 and opened for SchoolBoyQ at Frontier FIesta in 2015.

The Pearland four-piece went through its whole set with energy and humor, playing fast pop-punk songs.

With the fog machine spewing, singing “I’m not a hero but I wanna be,” they held onto the crowd Sugar Joiko had gathered and drew in others as night fell.

“I’ve seen them before and loved them,” said John Klein, 22, an HCC student. “They’re fun and energetic, like music should be.”