Thursday, November 15, 2018

ISIS is a threat and Democrats are making it worse

It has become obvious that ISIS has no intention to stop blowing people up, nor is anyone seemingly willing to stop them.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past couple days, you are completely aware that Brussels was attacked; whether it be through the heartwarming  Facebook filters or the inundation from the 24-hour news channels. Brussels was the third major attack on a European capitol in the last year and a half, the other two both happening in Paris.

Once is an accident, twice is a coincidence and three times is a pattern. Unsurprisingly, all three of these attacks were claimed by ISIS.

Belgium is a NATO ally, and if they were to declare war on ISIS, the US would be obligated to join in the effort. In response to the Brussels attack, President Obama gave a 52-second speech to fight terrorism, before standing in front of a building displaying a larger than life mural of Che Guevara that also doubles as the headquarters of Cuba’s Ministry of the Interior. Hillary Clinton responded to the attacks as well, saying that the best way to defeat ISIS was through the internet.

This is part of the reason why conservatives scream so loudly when it comes to national security. We’re having to deal with people who think the biggest threat to national security is climate change, won’t call the enemy radical Islamic terrorism and think the best way to defeat people who go into airports and set off bombs is to shut down their Twitter accounts.

Democrats have repeatedly brushed off national security threats, like Obama laughing when Mitt Romney said that Russia was our biggest geopolitical threat.

This is especially true when it comes to that of radical Islamic terror. Not only do they continuously refuse to call a duck a duck, their foreign policy has made the world less safe; it’s impossible to name one area of the world that is safer than it was when Obama took office.

ISIS is slowly bringing Europe to its knees with these coordinated attacks, and the most Democrats can muster up is a sorry to people who have been effected.

Twelve Americans were injured in the Brussels attacks and one is too many. Human beings are dying because a few people in power are not destroying a blatantly obvious enemy.

France arrested a man last week in the “advanced stages” of an attack plot, which would have been the third attack on Paris in less than a year and a half. It’s time to stop setting up vigils, it’s time to stop using generic pray for hashtags, and it’s time to stop giving heartfelt speeches about being with the people of an attacked country. It is time to kill terrorists and utterly destroy ISIS and radical Islamic terrorism.

The sad reality is that it’s only a matter of time before Facebook puts up a British flag filter. Or a German flag filter. Or a United States of America flag filter.

Opinion columnist Jorden Smith is a political science junior and may be reached at [email protected]

Tags: ,

Are you excited for Thursday's game?