Sports Track & Field

Track and field prep for Texas Relays in Austin

After a number of strong finishes at the Victor Lopez Classic over the Easter weekend, the Cougars’ track and field teams are preparing for day one of the Texas Relays on Wednesday.

The Cougars cleaned up over the weekend, earning a number of wins and top-10 finishes.

Junior Alex Garza started the day with a first-place finish in the shot put for Houston, and began a day of success for the Cougars.

Senior hurdler Issac Williams claimed first in the 110m hurdles, while fellow senior LeShon Collins picked up a first place finish in the 100m dash.

Both the men’s 4x400m relay team and 4x100m relay teams placed first in their events. The 4x400m team ran the 11th fastest time in the country this season with a time of 3:09.96, edging out second place by just .03 seconds. The 4x100m team earned first with the fourth-fastest time in the country this season at 39.66 seconds.

Outside of those first-place finishes, the Cougars’ teams racked up 12 top-five finishes, including the women’s 4x100m relay team finishing third in the event.

With the success at the Victor Lopez Classic, the Cougars will be hoping to turn in more wins at the Texas Relays in Austin starting on Wednesday, while part of the squad will travel to the Bobcat Invitational in San Marcos, Texas later this week.