Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Tennis prepping for final two matches of regular season

WEB-Justin-Cross5_DSC8228

The Cougars have just two matches left in the season and are current holders of a 5-16 record overall. | Justin Cross/The Cougar

In itsĀ final two matches of the season, the tennis team will host conference foe and 29th-ranked Tulsa University and the University of North Texas this weekend.

The Cougars and the Golden Hurricane square off on Saturday before the team returns to campus for their match against UNT at noon on Sunday.

Before the match on Sunday, the Cougars will honor Maria Cardenas and Rocio Martin in a senior-day ceremony prior to the final regular-season home game of their careers.

This season has been difficult for the Cougars and first-year head coach Courtney Steinbock. Struggling with injuries for much of the season, the team has just a 5-16 overall record this season and a 0-2 mark in the American Athletic Conference.

The Cougars are returning home after a four-game road swing over the past month, which saw them drop three of the four games, their lone win an upset over the College of William and Mary, which was ranked No. 32 at the time.

The Golden Hurricane are coming off a win in the AAC over Tulane University, 4-0, while the Mean Green are coming off a 4-3 loss against Southern Methodist University on the road. Tulsa enters the weekend with a 17-3 overall record, while UNT holds a 9-9 record this season.

UH and Tulsa will play at the Houston Country Club on Saturday at 11 a.m. while Sunday’s match will be at the John E. Hoff Courts on campus at noon.

Tags: , ,

Does the construction along Spur 5, which will eventually impact the U.S. 59 north and south on-ramps from I-45, affect your commute to class?

• Yes, my commute will be dramatically different and much longer (36%, 38 Votes)
    • My commute will be slightly impacted, but it's not too much of a nuisance (29%, 31 Votes)
    • I don't commute/ I never use I-45 or Spur 5 (23%, 24 Votes)
    • I commute but had no idea about the construction (12%, 13 Votes)

Total Voters: 106