Baseball Sports

Houston faces UT for one-game break from AAC play

WEB-8711

The Cougars will hope to see  more offensive production against UT on Tuesday night. | Justin Cross/The Cougar

After a slow start to April, the baseball team will look to keep its recent winning streak when it takes on the University of Texas at Austin Longhorns on Tuesday.

At the start of April, the Cougars lost four of five games before winning the past two versus the University of Central Florida Knights. The Cougars finished the series 2-1 against the Knights after losing the first game.

In the final game of the series, freshman pitcher Mitch Ullom maintained control throughout the game, allowing just seven hits. Ullom also struck out two and had zero walks.

The Cougars won 1-0 and scored their sole run off of freshman Joe Davis, his seventh of the season. Davis finished the game 2-4 from the plate in the series capper and hit 6-12 during the entire series.

The Cougars are 3-3 so far in conference play this season and will take a one-game hiatus from AAC play to face UT on Tuesday.

The Longhorns enter the game 14-18 overall and are 3-4 in April. Their last game was a 3-2 loss against the Kansas State University Wildcats.

UT’s pitchers have a 3.45 earned run average for the season, whereas Cougar pitchers are averaging a 2.21 ERA for the year.

First pitch on Tuesday is at 6:30 p.m. at Constellation Field in Sugar Land. UH will look to win its first game on a neutral field this season, as it has gone 0-3 in such cases.

The Cougars will resume conference play when they travel to take on the University of Connecticut Huskies for a three-game series this weekend.