Activities & Organizations News

In light of sexual assault awareness month, assault workshop set for Thursday

In light of Sexual Assault Awareness Month, the Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies and nonprofit DAYA are hosting a workshop on sexual assault 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday at Agnes Arnold Hall, room 219.

The workshop, titled “Myths vs. Facts: Dynamics of Sexual Assault,” will feature guest speaker Nusrat Ameen from DAYA, a nonprofit that supports South Asian women, their children and families who are trying to break the cycle of domestic violence and reclaim their lives.

The workshop will bring awareness, tackle the misconceptions and determine the facts of sexual assault.

“This educational workshop brings UH students an awareness of the dynamics of domestic abuse so they can recognize its signs, avoid it in their own lives, assist those around them who deal with it and refer them to the resources available in our community,” WGSS Director Elizabeth Gregory said.

The workshop is one of many events taking place for Sexual Assault Awareness Month, which continues through April 28. The month is meant to create safer campuses and show students methods to prevent sexual violence.

“I think it’s great that our University embraces Sexual Assault Awareness Month,” pre-pharmacy junior Morgan Foster said. “This is a touchy subject for many women, so it’s great that we can come together and address it.”

Anyone in the UH community may to attend the workshop at no charge. Although predominantly geared toward women, men are encouraged to attend as well.

The workshop is free. Students can RSVP for the event to the WGSS office at [email protected] or by phone at 713-743-3214.