Golf Sports Women's golf

Men’s, women’s golf preparing for team weekend play

Gilbreth_Emily40

Women’s golf kicks off action at the American Athletic Conference Championships this weekend, chasing a conference tournament title in Florida. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

After a week off for the women’s team and only individual performances for the men, both golf teams are preparing to hit the links again.

The men’s team will travel to Ardmore, Oklahoma for the Maxwell Intercollegiate, their final regular season event, while the women begin their postseason play at the American Athletic Conference Championships.

Last week, the men sent four athletes to compete at individuals at the Jim West Intercollegiate, where redshirt sophomore Joshua Gibbons led the way for the Cougars.

Gibbons finished with at even par after three rounds, tying for 19th at the event. He was followed by redshirt junior Emmett Oh, who shot +8 over par for the event, finishing tied for 36th.

Redshirt freshman Matt Williams and sophomore Alan De Bondt finished +9 over and 15+ respectively to round out the squad for UH.

This weekend, the men will be competing as a team again, with two more competing as individuals. Seniors Blair Hamilton and Vincent Martino, sophomore Michael Perras, redshirt sophomore Papito Gonzalez and redshirt freshman Logan Davis will make up the team for the Cougars, while Oh and Gibbons will play as individuals.

In the women’s last outing, the team finished in a tie for 6th place at the Clemson Invitational, where sophomore Yuka Kajiki shot +1 over par for the event to finish in 11th place. Sophomore Megan Thothong, freshman Leonie Harm and senior Raegan Bremer each shot +7 over par for the tournament, placing them in a tie for 31st, while junior Emily Gilbreth finished tied for 53rd with a +12 over par final score.

With their regular season wrapped up, the women will be looking for a shot at a conference title at the AAC Championships in Palm Coast, Florida. Day one starts Sunday, with the second and third rounds on Monday and Tuesday.

The men begin play at the Maxwell Intercollegiate on Saturday, wrapping up play Sunday.