Baseball Sports

Cougars look to rebound against USF

WEB-Robyn-Archer-DSC_0055

The Cougars are 3-6 in the American Athletic Conference and will look to pick up some crucial wins in their weekend series against USF. | File photo/The Cougar

The baseball team will resume conference play versus the University of South Florida Bulls this weekend, hoping to improve on their 20-15 record.

UH enters the game 3-6 in the American Athletic Conference, where they are tied for last place with USF after being swept by the University of Connecticut in last weekend’s series.

In the upcoming series against USF, the Cougars will continue to rely on the strength of their pitching staff. As a team, the Cougars’ pitchers are currently ranked fifth in the nation with a 2.47 ERA.

The Cougars’ bats continue to struggle, as they have only posted a .258 batting average in 1,167 plate appearances. They also have only 161 runs this season, which puts them second-to-last in the AAC.

USF comes to Houston after a 6-2 win against Bethune-Cookman University on Tuesday.

On offense, the Bulls have posted similar stats to the Cougars this season, as they have a .248 batting average and have scored 166 runs. Unlike the Cougars, USF has a 3.67 ERA among their pitching staff.

The Cougars hold a 20-11 lead in the all-time series and won the three games against the Bulls last season.

The series begins on Friday at 6:30 p.m. at Darryl and Lori Schroeder Park and will continue on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. before wrapping up with Sunday’s nationally-televised game on CBS Sports Network at 1 p.m.