Baseball Sports

Cougars ready for Bearkats in midweek matchup

WEB-8711

The Cougars find themselves in the middle of the AAC standings in fifth place, but their matchup against the Bearkats will test if they can get things going in the right direction. | File Photo/The Cougar

Looking to continue their winning ways, the Cougars welcome the Sam Houston State University Bearkats to Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park for a mid-week nonconference matchup on Tuesday night.

The Cougars enter Tuesday’s game coming off a series win against the University of South Florida Bulls in which they were able to take two of the three games, with Sunday’s game being called early due to weather.

Midweek games have given the Cougars trouble this season, however, as they have gone just 4-4 in midweek matchups.

Sam Houston State has put its season into high gear over the last month. The team is coming off of a weekend series sweep against Abilene Christian University and is the winner of seven games in a row, taking 19 of its last 23 games.

Despite playing in the Southland Conference, tough competition is no stranger to the Bearkats. Sam Houston State has played some of the top teams in the country and enjoyed a series sweep over the No. 25 Oklahoma University Sooners and Baylor Bears.

Freshman first baseman Joe Davis provides the Cougars with their offensive charge. Davis is hitting .342 and leads the team in hits, home runs and RBI.

Junior pitcher John King has been an essential part of the Cougar pitching staff all season. King has a 3-3 record with a 3.75 ERA and has recorded 33 strikeouts of opposing hitters.

The Bearkats are led by Bryce Johnson, who sports a .366 batting average and leads the team with 23 RBIs.

First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. at Schroeder Park on Tuesday.