Golf Sports

Men’s golf looking toward postseason, AAC championship

After earning a seventh-place finish at the rain-shortened Maxwell Intercollegiate, the men’s golf team turns its attention toward the postseason, with the American Athletic Conference Championships due first on the roster.

The Cougars wrapped up the regular season with five first-place finishes as a team and nine top-5 finishes for the entire year. Consistent play has been the trademark for men’s golf, as its worst team-finishes this season have been a pair of seventh-place finishes, with one coming at The Maxwell.

Before the event was rained out, the Cougars managed to card two complete rounds, with the five-man team finishing with a team score of +13 over par. Sophomore Michael Perras led all UH golfers, finishing +1 over par for the event and tied for 22nd place.

Seniors Vincent Martino and Blair Hamilton and redshirt sophomore Papito Gonzalez all carded +4 over totals for the event, ending up tied for 37th. Redshirt freshman Logan Davis rounded out the team at a +8 over par finish, good for a tie for 57th.

Two Cougars competed as individuals, with redshirt sophomore Joshua Gibbons finishing +3 over par in a tie for 28th and redshirt junior Emmett Oh finishing +8 over par and tied for 57th place.

With the regular season wrapped up, the Cougars’ next event will be in Lecanto, Florida at the Black Diamond Ranch for the AAC Championships. Play begins on Sunday and lasts through Tuesday; from there, the Cougars will learn their NCAA postseason fate.