Softball Sports

UH softball will make final push this weekend

Softball welcomes Memphis to town as they look to avenge Tuesday's loss to McNeese State. | Justin Cross/The Cougar

Softball welcomes the Memphis Tigers to town and looks to avenge Tuesday’s loss to McNeese State. | Justin Cross/The Cougar

The UH softball team will finish the regular season with a three-game series against an American Athletic Conference foe, the University of Memphis Tigers, this weekend.

First pitch times for the three-game series are set for 5:30 p.m. on Friday, 2 p.m. Saturday and the series finale at noon on Sunday. All games can be seen at the Cougar Softball Stadium.

The Cougars enter the series tied with the University of Tulsa for fourth place in conference play at 6-9 and are one game behind the Tigers. UH is 23-28 overall for the year.

In their last game against McNeese State University, the Cougars fell 4-0 as their offense struggled to get going. Only four players managed to get a hit and senior center fielder Katie St. Pierre failed to land on base for the fourth time in her last 15 games.

Freshman pitcher Savannah Heebner was handed the loss in the same game, dropping her record to .500 on the season at 7-7. Heebner pitched the entire game and had three strikeouts, walked three and allowed two earned runs.

Memphis is coming off a 2-1 series win against Tulsa, which moved them into third place in the AAC. In the final game of the series, Memphis won 5-2 behind sophomore outfielder Kyler Trosclair’s two RBIs. Trosclair has 12 RBIs on the season and bats a .296.

The Cougars enter the series against the Tigers with a better overall ERA, but Memphis’ sophomore pitcher, Molly Davis, has a 2.88 ERA — the lowest of all pitchers.

Softball needs St. Pierre to rebound in the batter’s box. The Cougars will count on senior infielder Courtney Klingler, whose bat leads the team in home runs with 12.

UH was 1-2 against Memphis last year in the regular season before beating the Tigers in the first round of the AAC Championship.