Administration News

New Admin and Finance VP proud of school’s evolution

mcshan3

McShan has contributed to the school for many years, and UH has been giving back for him. “It was an opportunity to work with a lot outstanding people,” McShan said. | Ajani Stewart/The Cougar

CORRECTION: A previous version of this story falsely named Jim McShan as UH’s “newest regent.” McShan is not a regent, but in his new position as senior vice president of Administration and Finance and vice chancellor, he meets with the Board of Regents at their quarterly meetings. 

In 1983, Farish Hall was white, the fountain worked and the Phi Slama Jama lost the national championship on a heartbreaking buzzer-beater. It seems changes are natural to the University of Houston over the last 30 years.

But Jim McShan, UH’s newest senior vice president of Administration and Finance, is proof that some elements do stay the same.

After serving in the interim position since April 2015, Chancellor and President Renu Khator appointed McShan as the vice chancellor and senior vice president of Administration and Finance on May 6. McShan began working for UH in 1983 as an accounting manager, and except for a stint at Texas Southern University from 2008 to 2014, he’s been here ever since.

“UH is a vibrant, active campus with student life and activities everywhere you look today,” McShan said, regarding the University’s evolving student life. “In 1983, however, it was much smaller, with a lot less student housing and felt like a commuter school without much campus activity.”

McShan expressed surprise at his role — holding the reins of the entire UH system’s finances — despite previous experience in the area.

“I did not expect to be named to the position until a discussion with the Chancellor recently,” McShan said. “I accepted the interim position because I felt, due to my history with UH, I was uniquely qualified to immediately support and lead until the position was filled. It was an opportunity to work with a lot outstanding people.”

McShan was chosen as the interim candidate when Carl Carlucci stepped down. Carlucci cited a desire to transition to becoming a full-time professor in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, where he still teaches, after a particularly tumultuous semester and vote of no-confidence from the Student Government Association over his contract with Aramark.

McShan declined to comment on his predecessor.

Don Guyton, the chief audit executive who was McShan’s boss for seven years and friend for 30, saw McShan as a distinctive staff member.

“As a CPA, McShan has excellent analytical skills,” Guyton said. “He’s a problem solver.”

Emily Messa, associate vice chancellor and associate VP for Administration, noticed McShan is proficient at guiding others as well. She has been working with McShan since her arrival at UH in 1998.

“McShan took the time to explain things to me,” Messa said. “He’s been my mentor and will take the time to help you want to know how things work. He’s a great teacher, advocate and supporter.”

Support for sports is what McShan has in spades. Being a frustrated athlete at heart, many of his favorite memories at UH are sports-related.

“From my perspective, Phi Slama Jama was the most exciting college basketball team ever,” McShan said. “The entire city seemed to support them and most of the country was talking about them. It was the greatest high flying, fast paced team I had ever seen.”

UH’s Peach Bowl victory in 2015 was a source of great pride for him and the entire UH community.

“It was the most important football achievement in my 30 plus years here, rivaled only by Andre Ware’s Heisman trophy,” McShan said. “I am especially happy for the students who played a gigantic role by agreeing to support the new TDECU Stadium that help bring great coaches and athletes.”

McShan is also focused on the future. In the fall, UH will start a $100-million project to improve older structures like the Roy G. Cullen Building, Agnes Arnold Hall and Charles F. McElhinney Hall.

“These buildings are among the oldest on campus and utilized by more students and faculty than most others,” McShan said. “This project will take at least five years to complete since most of the buildings are currently occupied.  When completed, the buildings will be as close to new on the inside as is possible. New funding from the state will be utilized for this project.”