HISD budget cut leaves out quality education

DSC_0079_web

Robert E. Lee High School will build a brand new school and get a new name-Margaret Long Wisdom High School. | Ajani Stewart/The Cougar

The consideration of HISD’s location in a “property-wealthy district” has led to a new initiative, approved June 16, that demanded the school system send $162 million back to the state.

The budget cut, despite its aim to close a $95-million deficit, will exacerbate the failing education within HISD. In its 2015-2016 “Facts and Figures” document, HISD reports that more than 70 percent of its students are economically disadvantaged.

Instead of looking at the students, the proposal focuses on the wealth of the land upon which they study. This focus takes away resources from students who already have little and, as a result, worsens their education.

The growth of Houston’s economy and wealth have made it a central hub for hundreds of thousands of people. The costs, though, are increasing property taxes and valuations that form the reasoning behind this tremendous cut in budget.

Without the funding, teachers cannot afford proper teaching material and schools cannot afford up-to-date study materials. Ultimately, this cut would make our students non-competitive in the market. It would deteriorate education.

The budget slash also sees two of HISD’s major initiatives going down the drain: bonuses to teachers and the “Apollo” program from former Superintendent Terry Grier.

While controversial, paying more to teachers based on students’ test scores would have provided a method to evaluate the education they provided. Teachers would have more motivation to do what they do, too — and a chance to let what, where plus whom they teach match the district’s top schools.

The excision of “Apollo,” a program that aims to provide $20 million to several dozen low-performing schools for tutors and longer teaching hours, means future students will not experience its effectiveness.

The HISD funding system has become a travesty, but the school district is making attempts to salvage what they can.

With limited funding available, Ken Huewitt, the interim superintendent, decided to award more funding to campuses based on the percentage of economically disadvantaged students that they have.

It can’t be understated how important this is to balance the scales in education. Houston is a growing hub of technology and innovation, yet budget cuts are made to the pillars on which these industries are built.

Before the failing educational system of HISD gets any worse, we must find a way to address this issue.

Fortunately, the $162-million payment will be dependent on voters’ approval in an election, if the HISD board chooses to host one, in November. If the result is a “no,” HISD will give up its costly properties to poorer districts.

To take a stand against this cut to our education and fight for our resources will help the students grow at the same rate as the city.

Praneeth Kambhampati is a honors biomedical sciences freshman and can be reached at [email protected]