Focus Friday: Women in the draft

Embed from Getty Images

The Senate on June 14 approved a polarizing military policy bill that would require women to register for the draft at 18, a first for the nation. For this week’s Focus Friday, we will focus on whether this bill represents gender equality. 

Reagan Earnst, sports editor: At first glance, making women enlist in the draft at 18 seems a little obtuse. I’ve always held the belief that a man’s job is to protect women and children, domestically or internationally.

Where society is currently at, however, I understand why the government would pass legislation mandating women to sign up for the draft. Equality is a hot topic across institutions in our country. I think it plays an important role here.

Women and men should be treated equally, and for this reason I don’t have a problem with women being drafted. Any person who undergoes the rigorous training prior to deployment will be made capable to serve in a war. That said, there’s no reason to be against women being drafted into the military unless they don’t support full equality. All of this is theoretical considering we aren’t at war, but it would be best for our country to allow men and women to serve in whatever facet that will most benefit our forces.

Ashley Toma, opinion columnist: The need for military enforcement hasn’t an issue like was in previous decades. The number of volunteers for service has increased significantly. With more and more women enlisting, it would make sense to include them in the draft.

It would be difficult for me if I was drafted, since I lack strength and think with my emotions. The environment would be harsh on me. But I feel a man, too, could experience these same thought processes. I don’t think the draft should include only men.

I believe that women should be held to the same standard. Women are equally as capable as men to hold political offices, be firefighters, cops and so on. To make the draft men-exclusive would be a giant step in the wrong direction for women’s rights. Future generations would adapt to the idea that just because they are of a certain gender, they are excused from such principles in U.S. society.

Thomas Dwyer, assistant opinion editor: Since we try our best to be a progressive society, it only makes sense that women should be required to take part in the draft. Although women and men should be held to the same standard in the military, fitness tests show otherwise.

I don’t think the military should have combat roles available to females unless they pass the bare minimum requirements that govern the males. It sounds sexist and rude, but life-threatening jobs are better suited for those who have passed the tougher standards.

The Army took a big step forward last year by making its legendarily difficult Ranger School available to 19 women.  Three have graduated the course and earned their Ranger tabs. I believe the military should give all of its members the same opportunity to try and excel. Don’t, however, confuse equal opportunity with equal outcome.

Jorden Smith, opinion columnist: Our push toward so-called “equality” has meant leaving our own rationality on the side. It’s absolutely terrifying to discuss the notion of women being drafted in the military. This is a political stunt to appease those who fall on the sword of social justice.

A Rasmussen poll shows that only 38 percent of women are OK with women being included in the draft.

Also, women and men are physiologically different. This is just a fact. Men have more muscle mass than women. Does this mean we will lower the required physical standards in the military whenever advocates for “equality” are upset at how many women are turned away? This is not about a better military, it’s about an agenda.

It’s immoral to send our mothers, sisters, and daughters to fight. They will return changed and psychologically damaged. As someone whose sister turns 18 in 2018, I hope the U.S. takes a long look inside itself. Think about whether we’re doing this for the nation’s betterment or to give people a false sense of “equal.”

Odus Evbagharu, opinion columnist: I don’t see the problem of having a man or woman required to enter for the draft, as long as they are 18 years of age and a U.S. citizen. This is most definitely a sign of equality.

Women have proven, time after time, that when the occasion calls for their services, they deliver in more ways than one. Just ask the women who helped the U.S. win World War II by being as versatile as the men who went overseas.

Nonetheless, I despise the draft and it needs to be gotten rid of. If you don’t believe in the war the country is fighting, you shouldn’t be forced to fight in it. The draft infringes on the First Amendment because it limits self-expression when an individual refuses to be in the Army. When drafted, it’s a federal crime to not report it. This is wrong.

Focus Friday contributors can be reached at [email protected]

• When did they poll men on being drafted? I am sure that 85% would say no to being included in the draft yet they were not given the choice. What will happen when the courts intercede?

• Your sure huh? Males are more privy to war, you could expect less than 35% to say no. Females have their uses in the military, but they degrade the combat effectiveness of units, which is proven by the Marine Corps study.

• It is hard to say as there is no draft and has not been one for over 40 years, therefore any male under 63 did not go through his adulthood fearing conscription.
        Current polls show that by a 59 – 35 margins males think that the draft should be coed. While exact figures based on age is not available most feel that under 40 males would strongly support the inclusion of women and under 30 would be very strong. If those under 30 support women’s inclusion by a heavy margin, say 4:1, then it would be very hard to draft them if women are excluded.

• Hey this is what you Femi-nazi’s wanted, this is what true “equality” looks like.

• “Forcing women to serve in combat against their will is a deep departure in U.S. Policy.”
 (point below explain why combat is exactly where women would find themselves if drafted, after selective service sign up.
)

(For everyone saying it’s not a draft…. then simply don’t have the Selective Service sign up in the National Def. Auth. Act)

As a Veteran and woman (along with other Women I served with), I Strongly OPPOSE forcing all 18 year old young women, starting in 2018 to sign up for selective service.

”Forcing women to serve in combat against their will is a deep departure in U.S. Policy.”

Concerning women that now are going for combat positions….

A little news that is not the general population of all women. I also respect women that want to marry as early as 18, start having children and have no interest in warfare.

Selective Service is for a draft….a reminder of what a draft is….

“….Because, again, a draft is not to do with mode of transport, supply, or finance, a draft is there to put bodies on the frontline to take the hill… It’s to get more people to close with and destroy the enemy through fire and close combat. The draft is there to get more people to rip the enemy’s throats and kill them for our nation, sanctioned by the U.S. government. That’s what a draft is for.”

Remember prior to 1973 when we saw young men in our families and neighborhoods drafted to serve in Vietnam. 

“We have gone from debating whether or not women should serve in combat to some advocating that they should be forced to serve in combat.

“

You can’t say they won’t be in combat…..Fact we have even gotten to this point shows them saying the draft wouldn’t be for combat roles…would not fly…for exact reason combat roles became open for women. Then starting this talk on the Selective Service of ALL US Young women who turn 18.

• How do you ethically ensure all women drafted into a war are not pregnant before sent into combat? You can’t. When women have a choice to volunteer for service, they are able to consider if they are able to conceive. When law requires all women to be part of a draft, that choice is lost. This would be a huge step back for women’s rights and an even bigger step back for children. It’s a scary thought that much of society is more concerned about the appearance of equality than sending unborn babies into war.