Army moves toward equality with transgender ban lift

On June 30, Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter lifted the ban on transgender people serving in the military. This comes six years after President Barack Obama repealed the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” law that prevented gays, lesbians and bisexual men and women to enlist.

In a time when we have marriage equality, a black man as president and a woman likely to become president, it was only a matter of time before this happened. This move by the Army is a historic moment for equality in the United States.

The stigmas that have surrounded the transgender community are fading. More have become willing to accept that people can, in fact, choose the gender they identify with and normally function in our society. There will always be people like our beloved Attorney General Ken Paxton, of course, who broadcast the thoughts of the anti-transgender crowd.

Even with its flaws, the military could see what conservative lawmakers still can’t. In a statement, Carter praised Pentagon leadership for strengthening the military by agreeing to lift the ban.

“We don’t want barriers unrelated to a person’s qualification to serve preventing us from recruiting or retaining the soldier, sailor, airman, or Marine who can best accomplish the mission,” Carter said. “Americans who want to serve and can meet our standards should be afforded the opportunity to compete to do so.”

Between 2,500 to 7,000 active duty personnel identify as transgender. They can now no longer be involuntarily separated, discharged, or denied reenlistment or continuation of service.

Carter also announced that full medical treatment and even necessary gender reassignment surgery will be covered for individuals with medical necessities, as determined by a doctor.

Sexual orientation and gender shouldn’t determine whether an individual can join the armed forces. Allowing transgender people to be a part of the military is a necessary step toward a more inclusive society.

This decision will surely upset a lot of people, but history has been made and will likely not be undone. Serving in the military involves sacrificing many elements, and now a person’s gender identity is no longer needed to be one of them.

Opinion Editor Frank Campos is a media production senior and can be reached at [email protected].

• Equality is irrelevant when it comes to the US military. The correct question is, “Will allowing Trans soldiers to serve improve or degrade the military’s effectiveness?” I suspect the latter but it I’m open to giving them a shot to prove themselves.