Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Campus

UHPD sends out information prior to adoption of campus carry

editcougarvillageadmin-ajax (1)

Residence halls are one of the primary locations where campus carry is restricted, with the exception of Calhoun Lofts. | File photo/The Cougar

The University of Houston Police Department Chief of Police Ceaser Moore, Jr. sent out an email Friday afternoon reminding students, faculty and staff of the implementation of the campus carry policy, which will go into effect Monday afternoon.

“This is the result of debate and deliberation by the Campus Carry Work Group, robust input from a number of concerned campus members and thoughtful implementation by many UH administrators,” Moore said.

In the email, Moore reiterated the areas on campus where guns are and are not allowed. The policy excludes guns from being allowed in any of the residence halls on campus except for Calhoun Lofts, as well as any research labs with potentially harmful materials, all sporting venues on campus, as well as additional areas.

The UHPD police station will serve as a secure storage facility for registered weapons to be stored.

Moore also reminded students of the responsibility of concealed carry and that any form of open carry on campus isn’t allowed.

“It is the responsibility of the licensed handgun holders to carry their weapons properly (i.e., concealed),” Moore said. “We remind you that the open carry of handguns anywhere on campus remains prohibited.”

Tags: ,