Special Section

We all scream for these tasty flavors of Shasta’s ice cream

$1 victory day deals attract more customers to Shasta's Cones and More and the SC Games Room with the allure of instilling more school pride. Brittaney Penney | The Cougar

Shasta’s Cones & More is a little slice of heaven right at the center of campus. | File photo/The Cougar

Cold scoops, hot coffee and warm smiles greet anyone who walks into Shasta’s Cones & More, an ice cream parlor that serves the University of Houston’s most reliable late-night coffee (well, later than 6 p.m.) this side of Bauer.

Between Blue Bell — the establishment’s original stock — and Ashby’s Sterling ice creams, the choices are overwhelming. Honorable mentions from the Shasta’s staff include Lime Sherbet, Anniversary Cake and the coconut-chocolate Eskimo Kisses.

Scout’s Honor Mint Cookie

Find yourself craving Thin Mints in July? Usually, you are out of luck, but Shasta’s is here to help. The flavor’s mint green base is the perfect complement for the faux Thin Mints (Ashby’s version features rounded cookies) and chocolate swirl within. It’s great in a cup, cone or in a milkshake.

Raspberry Chip Cheesecake

Three amazing flavors — raspberry, chocolate chip and cheesecake — come together for this award-winning creation. Pro tip: It’s not a permanent flavor, so get it when you see it. The slight whip of fruitiness is refreshing on UH’s many hot days, but the cheesecake and chocolate leave this flavor grounded firmly in ice cream territory. No tangy gelato here.

Cookies ‘n Cream

This Blue Bell classic deserves its title as the creamery’s best-selling flavor. After all, according to the company, they came up with the idea first. Blue Bell bakes the chocolate cookies they crush and fold into the vanilla base themselves, so everything about this flavor is 100 percent Blue Bell. It’s extra sweet and lightly chocolatey, and the cookies turn soft enough that you’re enjoying the ice cream without the need to chew.

Mocha Almond Fudge

No worries, chocoholics: This coffee-based flavor by Ashby’s has fudge in every bite. Chocolate-covered almonds and a heavy fudge swirl dominate the flavor, so even those who shy away from coffee could enjoy this pick-me-up delight. The almonds provide a satisfying crunch to the smooth ice cream texture.

Blueberry Muffin Top

Ice cream for breakfast? Yes, please! Here, the blueberry swirl and pieces of muffin and streusel form a perfect marriage with the vanilla ice cream. Pair with a Shasta’s latte for a bona fide breakfast with a shorter wait time than the Starbucks downstairs.