Soccer Sports

Soccer takes to the road after impressive win

unnamed

Junior Selena Peters was impressive on Friday by assisting on two of the teams three goals. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

Coming off of a 3-0 win against the Texas Southern University Tigers on Friday night, the soccer team will now gear up for their first road trip of the season.

Unity and effort, something they showed much of against the Tigers, will be important to achieving victory in the upcoming away games for soccer.

“We will continue playing as a team, within the system of the team and together,” said junior Hannah Dauzat. “We can improve by coming out harder and just getting to it from the start.”

Dauzat led the way against the Tigers, recording all three goals for the Cougars, the first hat trick in her career. Those scores were good for the second-highest total ever in a Cougar soccer game.

They also landed her an American Athletic Conference Honor Roll selection for the week.

“This is great to see,” said head coach Chris Pfau in a press release. “During the preseason, Hannah had been playing midfield, and a couple days before the game, we had some injuries to our forwards and had to move her upfront. For her not only to contribute but to get a hat trick shows how hard she works and how good she has become.”

Junior Selena Peters played an important role in Dauzat’s success by assisting on two of her three goals. Junior Georgi Dolence also recorded an assist on a Dauzat score.

Arizona-transfer goalie Rachel Estopare recorded a shutout in her first game as a Cougar. The win was the first of Estopare’s career.

The Cougars will need to continue to improve in order to win on the road. Team chemistry will be essential while playing away from their home support.

Soccer went 0-8 on the road last season, a losing streak they hope to stop this weekend when they take on the University of the Incarnate Word on Friday in San Antonio and Texas State University on Sunday in San Marcos.

Friday’s kickoff against UIW is scheduled for 5 p.m.