Administration News

Board of Regents notes upgrades to institutions, Fertitta’s donation

Board of Regents Chairman Tillman Fretitta at Thursday's Board of Regents meeting. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

Board of Regents Chairman was recognized on Thursday for his $20 million donation toward the renovation of the basketball arena. | File photo/The Cougar

The University of Houston System Board of Regents met Thursday at the Hilton University of Houston’s Conrad Hilton Ballroom to discuss and approve several different items centered around UH growth.

A new program, the doctorate of physical therapy degree, will be added to the growing UH catalog of doctorates. The board approved this program and is now the second campus in the greater Houston area to offer the degree.

The board also approved giving President and Chancellor Renu Khator authority to negotiate contracts for the renovations of the Science Building and the new indoor football practice facility. The old science building on campus has laid dormant for several years and has been closed off for students.

They also heard representatives from the UH-Katy school speak over their master plan for the campus, and allowing Chancellor Khator to negotiate the purchase of even more land in the West Houston/Katy region.

The ribbon cutting for the Katy campus will be on Sept. 15 at 3:30 p.m.

In addition to Katy, other UH campuses will see improvements. The board approved the addition of new bachelor’s degrees in science and technology at UH-Clear Lake, maintenance improvements and another science building at UH-Downtown and more housing at UH-Clear Lake.

There was also debate and discussion about additions to the UH-Victoria campus. Due to its downtown location, the campus is looking to buy an old mall to serve as storage and house miscellaneous services.

The fiscal budget for 2017–2019 was also looked at, including the updates to several biology and science buildings and the eventual relocation of the Student Health Center.

On top of all this, the board recognized the donation from Chairman Tilman Fertitta to fund the renovations to the basketball arena and its impact to the faculty, staff, and students at UH.

“No news today is bigger than the $20 million donation from Mr. Fertitta,” Khator said in an opening to her remarks to the Board.